Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are bargellos difficult? >

Are bargellos difficult?

Are bargellos difficult?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM

I didn't think they were hard, but you have to keep track and pay attention. I enjoyed making mine.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM

I just finished piecing one by Eileen Wright

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157075-1.htm

The hardest part was finding "just the right fabrics", 24 in all. Piecing it was easy, never pinned anything, just locked the seams together and then eased them under the presser foot all while keeping your fingers out of the way. I found that cutting the strips was easier if I only did a few at a time, less confusion. I also cut a strip map with the numbers and hung it above my sewing machine for easy and fast reference. It saved lots of time and mistakes. I think the quilt turned out great and will be fmq soon (as soon as I figure out my new machine).
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

as with most anything (difficult) is relative.
are you a fairly good piecer?
are you a precise cutter?
are you patient?

some people think of bargellos as a fairly easy (beginner friendly) project, other's find them to be quite difficult.

i think of them as kind of an intermediate/beginner...if you pay attention to detail- take your time- and cut/sew fairly precisely they would be easy for you- if those technical steps are difficult for you- it will be a little more difficult (but certainly not impossible)
look over the tutorials, videos, and all the patterns you can find- read the hints and tips- and before committing to a queen size bargello- maybe make a table runner- or a tree skirt bargello---they you will have the process figured out- and know if it's something you want to make a big quilt out of.
personally- i love making bargello quilts!
they are aways so unique--at least mine are.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM

I don't find them difficult, you just need to be organised, the hardest thing is choosing the fabrics :)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Yes & No - just depends on the pattern. But they are so much fun to make, watching the design come together is worth all the effort.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I,m watching too.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Bargellos are not difficult...... just takes careful labelling and following directions to a T
Love Derek Lockwoods designs
Old 10-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think they are quite easy. I label everything really well, so that I don't get mixed up.
With most of her quilts, there are places where you unsew the seams and insert different fabrics, I worked off of the chart that was provided in the book by making a copy of it. I especially colored the section where the colors changed from Turquoise to Purple but it might be a little difficult for someone not familiar with the pattern. As you can see, I haven't had time to attach the border to my Aurora Borealis. TOO MANY Xmas presents to get done by December 25th. I HOPE to get to it first thing next year. OH, that is a little over two months !! Good luck. If you have any question, please feel free to PM me. :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277449.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 AM

It is alot of fun and time consuming. You have to label everything and keep them in baggies so you dont get mixed up. They are beautiful
Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 AM

I just finished a twist and turn, If you pay attention and follow the instructions it is not hard. The hardest part is picking the fabrics. the rest if fun seeing it go together. Go for it and have fun.