Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are bargellos difficult? >

Are bargellos difficult?

Are bargellos difficult?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM

All of the examples shown so far have the seams matching, but someone referred to a type of bargello where the seams do not match. Do people do those as well? How do they look? Can they be as beautiful as all the ones I've seen posted here?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM

I am working on one now. The difficulty for me is that I read lots of books, looked at a lot etc...and I complicated it more than it needed to be.I didn't use a pattern, so it is all by trial and error for me. I wanted to do one where I didn't need to match seams, and somehow managed to be matching seams lol.I believe I only have 10 fabrics, those were hard enough to choose...I cant imagine 20! My advice is to find a pattern, and try to stay organized. It really is rewarding to see it come together, and it is worth it. Here is part of mine, haven't got much done since then.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-160704-1.htm
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Start with a simple one. Then progress.
They can be simple or very dificult. Check with the Quilt shop.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM

I use a strip map (sometimes I have it enlarged for little extra help) and I label the strips with numbers or letters or whatever, using those brightly colored dots that are meant for garage sale pricing. I've done several similar to bargello this way and no problems. BUT----don't sew when you're tired!!!! (I make stupid mistakes then...)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM

the first quilt I made was "Bargello in the round" I must admit, it took me a while,don't bet in a hurry, and you will say the end result was worth it. the bargello will become one of your favorites.
d.swindle
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM

The more I look at how gorgeous these are, the more intimidated I become. Gonna give one a try though. Lots of great info.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
All of the examples shown so far have the seams matching, but someone referred to a type of bargello where the seams do not match. Do people do those as well? How do they look? Can they be as beautiful as all the ones I've seen posted here?
I have done bargello that the seams do not match, they are really fast to do and can be wonderful. In stead of progessinging the next row a full square , you only progess it 1/2 square. So much of a bargello is the colors, some using as many as 20 plus fabrics.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM

To sewbeadit...I noticed your green Elna machine and would like to know how old it is and how you came by iy. I also have a green Elna machine that came out as the equal to the featherweight only I like it better as it does more. The machine has panels that close up fastening to the top. Now the top has an area for feet and the machine can do several stitches as well as forward and backward and (zigzag(?). When the area is closed and the 4 sides attach then it is ready for carrying. Only machine like it I have ever seen and I was in the sewing machine business both retail and wholesale for 60+ years. I have been thinking of selling it but have no idea as to worth. No I do not use it after having it serviced, I only enjoy it.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM

I've made 3 Bargellos. They are not hard to do. It's fun to pick out the fabrics and arrange them to get the look you want. The next day you look at them again and FAITHFULLY you rearrange something. This may go on for several days till you're happy. The boring part is the cutting and sewing. Once that is done the fun begins once again. Putting it together, and watching it litterally come to life is so energizing. Whether using a pattern or creating your own (for me creating my own is the really fun part), I whole heartedly recommend making one.. GO FOR IT!! You won't regret it. Have fun and post the picture when it's done.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM

I enjoy making bargello quilts. Fun and beautiful. Just take your time and enjoy the process!