Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: barn block

CRO

barn block

I have seen a few quilts that are made from blocks that are barns that have a quilt block on the side. I hope that even makes sense.
    Every search I do for a pattern always takes me to barn quilts. The wooden ones that are placed on barns, which I do love BTW.
    Anyone have an idea what to search for, or know where I might find that pattern?
    Thanks

I don't know but I have the same problem trying to figure out what words to use in searches to come out with what I want, I guess I think differently than the search engines!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Look around the Quilt in a day site. She did blocks with barns and put little quilts on the barns.
    Can't remember much more than that.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Banned
    Years ago the Golden Thimble had a 9 month barn BOM that was really cute. It was as you say, barns with quilt blocks on them. Sadly, the site is gone. The patterns were free and I have most of them along with the finishing instructions.

Cari

What a cute tutorial. I love the quilt with the barn pictures with the blocks on them.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I remembered this thread from a while back. Maybe it will help.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t252215.html

Quilt Blocks on American Barns is EB book. She did a series on her TV show on PBS.
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/book/26417
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Busy in Ohio

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I was just perusing posts and this is the same one I posted about. Now I see why her free pattern site is gone but I'm glad that her patterns are still available.

Cari

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I did the barn blocks from Bee in My Bonnet website a couple of years ago. It is so cute. I don't think the tutorial is posted any longer. Some of the barns have silos and some don't.

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7403101]Here's a tutorial for the basic block:
    http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html
    Lori Holt beom bee in my bonnet posted a number of quilt patterns on barns a year or so ago. Hopefully, this link will take you to some of those patterns.

CRO
    Thank you all so much for the info, suggestions, and links. It has given me a lot to look at and try to figure out.

Blog Entries
    I have done several barn quilts on a 12x12 board. I like doing Bear Claw or the star patterns. Everything is square or triangle and looks so good on a 12x12 board. I have mine above the garage door (single car garage) and it is always so good to see it when I am coming down the alley toward home. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

#3 posting by PaperPrincess with a link to Etsy is for Golden Thimble's BOM quilt- not free though now. It is paper pieced and finishes at 42 X 48.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Years ago the Golden Thimble had a 9 month barn BOM that was really cute. It was as you say, barns with quilt blocks on them. Sadly, the site is gone. The patterns were free and I have most of them along with the finishing instructions.

Cari

Blog Entries
    here is one I found on google....put in "barn quilt blocks" and a bunch of choices will come up in google
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet has quite a few different barn blocks in it. It is an awesome book.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRO View Post
    I have seen a few quilts that are made from blocks that are barns that have a quilt block on the side. I hope that even makes sense.
    Every search I do for a pattern always takes me to barn quilts. The wooden ones that are placed on barns, which I do love BTW.
    Anyone have an idea what to search for, or know where I might find that pattern?
    Thanks
    "Log cabin schoolhouse". I just tried is on yahoo images and one came up in the first row of pictures. You do want the school house shape with the side as a log cabin quilt right?
    Last edited by madamekelly; 12-15-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quilt of the Week - by joyce999 - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t250014.html