Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Barn quilt colors >

Barn quilt colors

Barn quilt colors

Old 02-19-2021, 06:54 AM

Default Barn quilt colors

Am in the process of making another barn quilt for on our townhouse which is tan with white and burgundy trim. I'm thinking the colors burgundy, white, a darker tan than the house, and a "pop" color to go with those colors. Am thinking a very dark green, a very dark blue, or possibly a turquoise. Do any of you have ideas? Thanks much.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

If you go with the same value of blue as the burgundy, depending on the pattern, they might bleed into each other. A lighter blue would give it a patriotic theme.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:52 AM

Burgundy, grey and white is a classic.
I've also seen the same color palette with a touch of olive green.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:02 AM

I read a fun little way of generating good colour schemes.

Take a colour wheel, lay it on your work surface. Put a marker (ie a penny) on the colours you have decided to use, in your case the tan and burgundy. I would say tan is sort of a pale warm yellow, for the purpose of this exercise.

Now place markers to "balance off" the position of your burgundy and yellow markers...in this case that might mean I place two more markers, on the purple-blue and on the blue-green.

If you only want one other colour, the one midway across the circle from the burgundy and yellow is turquoise. The one between them is red-orange. You could add red-orange and turquoise to the burgundy and tan...that would look fab!

As long as you maintain some kind of symmetry in arranging the markers on the colour wheel, your scheme will work!
Attached Thumbnails colour-wheel.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 11:24 AM

Turquoise would pop. Love WesternWilson's color wheel sense. That would work too.