Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baskets for quilting room >

Baskets for quilting room

Baskets for quilting room

Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

http://www.basketsfromafrica.com/ite...skets/list.htm

I see the fair trade African basket vendors at most quilt and craft shows. I love these baskets. The link has a lot of pictures but unless it's part of the fair trade I don't know if the African women are getting a fair share. The vendor I buy from told me the more elaborate the weave and pattern the more skilled weaver made it who knew how to make the baskets perfectly. The authentic baskets will have a label attached to the handle of pure goat skin.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM

The prices are great for such skilled work too!! I will surley order me a few.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM

they are beautiful baskets.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

The prices vary from vendor to vendor at quilt shows. The first ones I bought were about $70, only one vendor was selling them then, the last ones I bought at Paducah quilt show were about $40 as several vendors were selling them.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

If you have a quilting room cat, better buy one just for the cat! My cat won't stay out of mine.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM

These are gorgeous and the prices are reasonable. I think I'm going to have to order a few. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with them ... but I'll figure that out later :)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM

There was a basket vendor at the MN Quilters Conf last week and the baskets seemed to be selling well. I saw lots of people carrying them.

I have Longaberger, lots of them, so I am banned from purchasing any more baskets, but the ones from Ghana are beautiful.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM

I love baskets, another one of my hangups. There are some really pretty ones there, I might just have to get a couple.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
There was a basket vendor at the MN Quilters Conf last week and the baskets seemed to be selling well. I saw lots of people carrying them.

I have Longaberger, lots of them, so I am banned from purchasing any more baskets, but the ones from Ghana are beautiful.
When my great aunt died I was in charge of cleaning out her house, she had no children. She had a room full of Longaberger baskets. I didn't know what they were but I knew they were nice baskets. I kept a few of the more interesting ones and sold the rest to an antique store. They paid me a fortune, this was about 20 years ago. Are the baskets still fetching a high price?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I looked on the link and under "about us," they say "We are members of the Fair Trade Federation, an organization that shares our strong belief that indigenous people around the world should be compensated fairly for their amazing work."

They are great baskets. I have bought them at farmer's markets and at PIQF. It's nice to see another option.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
http://www.basketsfromafrica.com/ite...skets/list.htm

I see the fair trade African basket vendors at most quilt and craft shows. I love these baskets. The link has a lot of pictures but unless it's part of the fair trade I don't know if the African women are getting a fair share. The vendor I buy from told me the more elaborate the weave and pattern the more skilled weaver made it who knew how to make the baskets perfectly. The authentic baskets will have a label attached to the handle of pure goat skin.