Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh >

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Old 05-02-2021, 07:55 AM

This is the system I use to spray baste all of my quilts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaIzuoY6Bg

It's much easier than getting down on the floor and has come out perfectly for me every time and I'm not that experienced with sandwiching quilts. It could easily be adapted to glue basting.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-02-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:56 AM

I would recommend standing the glue bottle in a mug with hot water before applying--this will make it flow easily. Then just try to control the amount that comes out--you won't need to use practically any pressure at all. Also, diluting the glue works better for 100% cotton, but if you're using poly batting, I wouldn't dilute it; the poly batting doesn't stick as well. I use glue basting for practically everything except for pieces that I don't want to launder, like art quilts, since I always want to wash the glue out when I'm done quilting. It's changed my life--I can glue baste a queen size quilt in about an hour. It's great!
Old 05-02-2021, 12:23 PM

I pour glue into a container with a nozzle like they have for katsup and mustard. and when I am done I clean the cap with water and put saran wrap over the bottle. I hold the bottle up about 12 inches and drizzile on fabric or batting. My hand does not get tired and I do not water it down.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:38 PM

I dilute mine and then I put it into a condiment squeeze bottle (like the ones at restaurants) You buy a package of four for under ten dollars on Amazon. Just make sure you don't get the glue too thin. Also you barely have to squeeze the bottle.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I pour glue into a container with a nozzle like they have for katsup and mustard. and when I am done I clean the cap with water and put saran wrap over the bottle. I hold the bottle up about 12 inches and drizzile on fabric or batting. My hand does not get tired and I do not water it down.
Sorry, I didn't read all the replies through. I see sewingsuz uses the same bottles.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:05 PM

I'm a true believer in the Elmer's Glue method of basting. I can't see me ever going back to sprays or pins. Yes, there is a knack to applying it and I have become better over time and getting it just right. My hands aren't the best but no carpal tunnel (not any more at least). Give it a bit more time and maybe even consider getting help from a friend or family member.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:28 AM

Doesn't glue basting gum up the needle?
Old 05-03-2021, 05:36 AM

No. The glue should be dry when you quilt. The only thing to avoid are blobs of glue that might break your needle, so just wipe away or spread out any blobs.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
Doesn't glue basting gum up the needle?
as stated above it does not as long as the glue is dry. I’m over 20 quilts in. If you get a glob just smooth it with your finger. If it gummed up needles those of us who use it exclusively wouldn’t.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:01 PM

I saw a glue roller product listed on this site a year or so ago and ordered one from Amazon. This is a different listing but looks identical to mine, so should be the same.

https://smile.amazon.com/DCT-Wood-Ro...7D2LPKNT&psc=1

It's a game changer - so easy to avoid globs. I dilute the glue a tiny bit - like maybe a TBSP or so to a bottle, and I refill from a gallon jug of Elmer's washable school glue. Give it a try - squeezes easy and spreads well.