Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
basting pins >

basting pins

basting pins

Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I used the larger curve (quilters') safety pins . . . until I started using Elmer's School Glue.
Do you mind expanding on this for a newbie quilter please? I assume ESG is a glue that will wash out?
TIA
MagaQuilt
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MagaQuilt View Post
Do you mind expanding on this for a newbie quilter please? I assume ESG is a glue that will wash out?
TIA
MagaQuilt
If you put Elmers or Elmers Glue or Elmers Washable School Glue into the search box upper right, you will come up with lots of previous threads on this.

I am a convert to this method. I think it helps to remember that it takes the place of pin basting, not spray basting, so it doesn't have to cover every inch of the batting but just in strategic spots where pins would go. I drizzle it on in a grid pattern onto the batting, smooth it out, let it dry some, then move to the next section. I use a dining room table and some quilts are bigger than it, but, just go from the center out. Read up on it and then we can help you with specific questions.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:57 PM

Jan, can you tell me more about the brass pins? The brand, perhaps?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Believe it or not, I prefer to hand thread baste.
But the pins I still use occasionally are brass, about an inch long, They are softer to close and very sharp.
Same here Jan. I rather thread baste but will use the brass pins on occasions.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 PM

I like the #1 curved and the brass. Hate the straight stainless ones and threw them all away. They dull quickly. Hade to buy a new box since all mine are currently securing a king-sized quilt that is on hold until January. I'd forgotten they come closed when they are new. What a pain!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM

Jan can you still get the brass pins? I use curved pins or 505 spray glue. I also like hand basting as well. Usually hand baste after putting curved pins in small projects.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If you put Elmers or Elmers Glue or Elmers Washable School Glue into the search box upper right, you will come up with lots of previous threads on this.

I am a convert to this method. I think it helps to remember that it takes the place of pin basting, not spray basting, so it doesn't have to cover every inch of the batting but just in strategic spots where pins would go. I drizzle it on in a grid pattern onto the batting, smooth it out, let it dry some, then move to the next section. I use a dining room table and some quilts are bigger than it, but, just go from the center out. Read up on it and then we can help you with specific questions.
Thank you very much - new to the Quiltingboard so haven't caught up on everything yet. I will do a search.
MagaQuilt
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 AM

Dritz has some new coilless pins that look great. I use their curved ones c