Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Basting Spray for Bow Tucks

My mom gave me yards and yards of white felt. I was wondering if I could use the basting spray and adhere it to the fabric, then quilt for a bow tucks? Anyone ever tried this? Also what do most of you use for the bottom insert of the bags? Cardboard?

I used felt on mine and didn't baste it at all. Once they were cut, I did pinned the sides and did some quilting and that held everything together quite nicely. I used plastic canvas for the bottom, but read that some folks had used the plastic from political yard signs. I'm going to a local recycling center to see what I can find along that line. Cardboard works but it buckles after a bit and it can't be washed.

Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    My mom gave me yards and yards of white felt. I was wondering if I could use the basting spray and adhere it to the fabric, then quilt for a bow tucks? Anyone ever tried this? Also what do most of you use for the bottom insert of the bags? Cardboard?

I never thought about the signs...and this is an election year.

I don't know if I would want to use basting spray, where you probably won't be washing the bag after it is made. My concern would be the chemicals on the fabric longterm. I am a strong supporter of basting spray; but do wash each quilt afterwards.

Blog Entries
    I bought some cheap vinyl floor tiles in a sale. Washable, and easy to cut to size.

I used 2 layers of leftover picture mat board, and covered with fabric so it could be removed.

I've used the plastic cutting mats that you buy in the kitchen section. You can sew something like a pillow case leaving one end open this way it can be removed and washed. This seems to work well for me.