Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting spray? >

Basting spray?

Basting spray?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM

I use 505. Stuff is great - even for delayed quilting (like seven months). Does not stain (at least I never had that problem). Has a little odor, but not bad if you have good ventilation (anything that sprays needs good ventilation). It is a little spendy, but to my mind, it is worth the price. I rarely have a problem with gumming, but a cotton ball with rubbing alchohol will take care of it in a flash (it will also clean the foot and shaft real well too). I tried using glue, but it left little spots that required three washings to get rid of.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I've only used the one from walmart, dritz I think, it worked great, didn't bother machine. Now I use elmers school glue, waaaaay cheaper and works great!
has anyone tried putting the school glue in a spray bottle with a little water, so you could spay instead of just dots of glue here and there..do you think that would work??
Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM

I'm an Elmer's glue girl myself. And I just squeeze it straight from the bottle in a big S motion in one direction then change directions and do another big S. I do apply glue to the batting then smooth it over my backing/top.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 PM

I use Elmer's . So far so good.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 PM

Our quilt group stopped using 505 because it doesn't hold as well as Sullivan's. The new Sullivan's is better odor wise than the older stuff, but still holds as well.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I use Mettler's and 505. I like them both and can't tell any difference in them, either in odor or function, so I buy whichever I can get on sale!
I really prefer the Mettler's. It has less odor to me and holds well. I found it for a decent price at Allbrands.com. I told one of my LA teachers about it and now she loves it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 AM

Elmer's School Glue is the way to fly......it just holds it all together.....and no smell.....a little dab here and there and no pins...works for me.......
Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 AM

I'm going to have to try the Elmer's. I've only used the 505 so far.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Tell us about the elmers??? I've heard you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle???
you don't need to do this. Don't think of glue basting like spray basting. Think of it like pinbasting where you don't need to cover the entire area. Just drop it on where you would put a pin. I drizzle it on in a thin stream in sort of a grid pattern. I love it. Let it dry and then sew. It has never failed me or gummed up a needle if I use it sparingly. I'm about 10 quilts in with Elmer's and won't go back. Make sure it is the washable school glue. It has no odor.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
you don't need to do this. Don't think of glue basting like spray basting. Think of it like pinbasting where you don't need to cover the entire area. Just drop it on where you would put a pin. I drizzle it on in a thin stream in sort of a grid pattern. I love it. Let it dry and then sew. It has never failed me or gummed up a needle if I use it sparingly. I'm about 10 quilts in with Elmer's and won't go back. Make sure it is the washable school glue. It has no odor.
I like your explanation comparing it to pin basting because you really don't have to cover every inch to get a good hold. I've found that just leaving my quilt sandwich to dry for a while after applying Elmers is most helpful.