Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting Stitches >

Basting Stitches

Basting Stitches

Old 05-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Basting Stitches

I've loaded a quilt using Lori's Way (YouTube video). My question is do you remove the basting stitches that go across as you roll the quilt or do you leave them, quilt over them and pull them out later?
Old 05-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

If you quilt across basting stitches (not done by water soluble thread), some of the time the needle will go right through the basting thread. It will then be a mess to take it out and could jeopardize the integrity of the quilting stitches.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:31 PM

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it. I did take them out as I rolled the quilt. This is the first time I basted the entire quilt before starting. The last two I quilted we’re both 75-80” in length and both of them had a slight smiley curve when I reached the bottom. The jury is still out on this method versus floating. This one seemed to quilt quicker because I didn’t have to baste the edges as I rolled the quilt. Because you do all that work upfront.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Safetysue View Post
I've loaded a quilt using Lori's Way (YouTube video). My question is do you remove the basting stitches that go across as you roll the quilt or do you leave them, quilt over them and pull them out later?
Very cool way to load a quilt! I had never heard of that. I had to go google it and watch it. I will have to try it.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Very cool way to load a quilt! I had never heard of that. I had to go google it and watch it. I will have to try it.
This method worked. I did not have a smiley face when I reached the bottom. Previously I loaded the backing, batting and attached the top using Lori's method and then floated the top. I basted the side seams as I moved down the quilt. I always basted from the top down until I watched a Jamie Wallen video on loading a quilt. His instruction are to baste going up from the belly bar. Now I wonder if basting up caused my smiley faced bottoms. I don’t think I pushed the sides up as I blasted them but I guess it’s possible. Maybe I just need to quit watching videos. 😎
Old 05-18-2020, 02:30 PM

I always basted from the top down until I watched a Jamie Wallen video on loading a quilt. His instruction are to baste going up from the belly bar. Now I wonder if basting up caused my smiley faced bottoms.
I always float and I always baste top to bottom as I go and I've never had smiles or frowns at the bottom.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 PM

Thanks for sharing. I floated but only basted the sides as I rolled the quilt. Should I be basting across the middle every roll?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Thanks for sharing. I floated but only basted the sides as I rolled the quilt. Should I be basting across the middle every roll?
Using this method, you baste the entire quilt completely before start quilting. I always float but I have occasionally gotten a donation quilt from guild members where I know that the quilt is not close to being flat - I am thinking that this method is a great way to distribute fullness evenly over the length of a quilt.

If you are already quilting, I don't see the need to do this unless you suddenly are having issues - if that happens, you could go ahead and baste the remaining rest of the quilt (imho).
Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 AM

I tried Lori's loading method several months ago on a crib quilt with great success; then used the method on successively larger quilts until I finally got up to a queen-size. I am totally hooked on her method! I do remove the horizontal basting stitches as I quilt and advance. I've encountered no problems with unwanted wrinkles, pleats, etc. in any of the quilt layers, with the added bonus of not having folds and wads of fabric and batting to step on and trip over. After quilting on a longarm for about 6 years this method has been one of the best 'quilting discoveries' I've had!