Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting Strips?  Whaaattt??? >

Basting Strips? Whaaattt???

Basting Strips? Whaaattt???

Old 08-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

wow, can't find a thing. can you contact the designer or the shop where you bought the pattern?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Does the border look like this?
https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html

From your description it sounds like they want you to make a separate flange before putting the binding.

If it's too complicated, why not just put a binding and call it done?
Yes! That's what it is! ...a flange....! I'm making a different type of border anyway so I'll leave this off.

Done!

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Cntact the designer or publisher for explanation otherwise we are guessing what it means. It might need clarification in the pattern.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:28 AM

EasyPeezy....thank you for posting that link for the flange binding. I've saved it to my favorites on the computer!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Before you decide to omit the flange (referred to in the pattern as basting strips) can you tell us if the outside edges of the quilt are on the bias? This may be why the pattern wants them and refers to them as basting strips as opposed to a flange. When a pattern ends up with the outside edges on a bias you run great risk of stretching it out of shape in the process of finishing it, simple handling can stretch a bias edge out of shape and quilting can definitely do it. If you want to omit them, that is fine but then you should put a basting stitch around the entire outside edge of the quilt top. If you can at least post a link to the pattern you purchased, we may be able to tell by looking. Bias edges would be very common in quilts made out of nothing but triangles or quilts set on point where the pattern author had you cut the setting triangles from squares cut in half diagonally (as opposed to squares cut in quarters where the outside edge would be on the straight of grain). Many pieced borders can also end up with bias on the outside edge, like a pieced chevron border or spiky paper pieced sawtooth edge as is common in some of Judy Niemeyer's patterns.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Before you decide to omit the flange (referred to in the pattern as basting strips) can you tell us if the outside edges of the quilt are on the bias? This may be why the pattern wants them and refers to them as basting strips as opposed to a flange. When a pattern ends up with the outside edges on a bias you run great risk of stretching it out of shape in the process of finishing it, simple handling can stretch a bias edge out of shape and quilting can definitely do it. If you want to omit them, that is fine but then you should put a basting stitch around the entire outside edge of the quilt top. If you can at least post a link to the pattern you purchased, we may be able to tell by looking. Bias edges would be very common in quilts made out of nothing but triangles or quilts set on point where the pattern author had you cut the setting triangles from squares cut in half diagonally (as opposed to squares cut in quarters where the outside edge would be on the straight of grain). Many pieced borders can also end up with bias on the outside edge, like a pieced chevron border or spiky paper pieced sawtooth edge as is common in some of Judy Niemeyer's patterns.
Thanks for this!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I've never heard of basting strips before, but the only place I see where they would be very useful would be on a quilt with bias edges, as feline fanatic has said. That's when I measure the quilt several times in the center, top to bottom, average the lengths, cut something that length on the straight grain and ease the quilt to that measurement as I sew that on. Then I do the same for the sides.

I also give a little tug on my binding as I'm sewing it on to be sure it is taut.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
I'd love to but I can't. It's a paid-for pattern. Last time I did that, it was removed.
Bear asked for a link. You can't post the actual pattern, but you can post a link to another web page that has the pattern.

Glad you got it figured out. My first thought was that the quilt designer was using terminology that differs from ours.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Give a thought or two before you omit the flange. I love the look on most quilts that call for one. Great way to add a touch of accent when needed.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I would also omit the basting strips.