Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik or not to Batik that is the question!! >

Batik or not to Batik that is the question!!

Batik or not to Batik that is the question!!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm thinking of doing a wedding ring quilt in batiks it alos has applique around the border. How are batiks for applique?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Zaz
I'm thinking of doing a wedding ring quilt in batiks it alos has applique around the border. How are batiks for applique?
I find it difficult to needle turn batik applique since the fabric is so stiff. Pressing the seam allowance under can also be difficult since it really needs lots of heat and steam to work, and it's hard to keep the fingers out of the way.

I have a couple of beautiful pieces of batik - so beautiful in fact that I keep taking them out and looking at them, smoothing them, drooling (not literally!) over them and then putting them away again - can't bear to take a cutter to them!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Dkm

I love batiks. I collect and collect, then when it comes time to cut one I have to think about it for a long time before making a decision on whether I really want to cut or not. guess you know I do have a lot of them. that project will come along some day.LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Wow - that's a beautiful color. I think you'll be very happy with whatever you make with it.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM

hummmm think I have that batik :) I love them , nice to work with but a little hard to hand quilt,because of the close weave.

lyn
Old 04-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Love batiks and the price is great! We pay close to $12 per yrd here in CA

Magoo
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by momto4
I have never really gotten into batiks, but lately there are just some extremely beautiful ones and I think I may need to reconsider! Here is one I found today...and I think it has opened the door to batiks for me

http://www.christaquilts.com/index.p...ducts_id=11739

That would make one stunning quilt!
I wish I had money, because I would buy a panole with all the fairys in blocks. that is just beautiful. thank you for the site. God bless. Penny
Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

I am sorry. the fabric is great, I love those fabrics, the batiks, but don't have any and no money to buy, but I like to look. God bless. penny
Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I have pretty much swore off batiks because I hand quilt. I will use them in very small amounts.
can you please explain the reason? im a bit confused... im about 3/4 of the way done handquilting a baby quilt with batiks in it and batik backing.... please dont tell me it all needs redone lol
Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
Originally Posted by shaverg
I have pretty much swore off batiks because I hand quilt. I will use them in very small amounts.
can you please explain the reason? im a bit confused... im about 3/4 of the way done handquilting a baby quilt with batiks in it and batik backing.... please dont tell me it all needs redone lol
Some quilters have noticed it's more difficult to hand quilt through batiks 'cause of their higher thread count. Me, I think they're so pretty it's worth the extra effort. Don't start over!!!