Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batik question

Blog Entries

Batik question

I brought fat quarter batik [red white and blue]. I going to use white background [kona]. I am worry about the color running on the white when washed when finished. Should I wash the fabric before cutting it. I have heard that Batik runs a lot. It you think I should wash before cutting, should I also wash the Kona for shrinkage. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Couldn't hurt, if you're wondering, it's better to be safe than sorry. I am (finally) starting to listen to those little nagging feelings....

With batiks, I run them under water and then squeeze them to see if they are going to run. If they do, I continue to do that until they stop running, THEN I wash them. Even if they don't run, I'd still wash them.
    I would also wash the white (separately of course).
    Then I'd use a colour catcher when you wash the finished quilt.
    (Can you tell I've had a problem with this before?)

Watson

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    take a piece of white paper and rub HARD on the batik--if you don't get any color at all, then go ahead and cut & sew, and just make sure to wash the quilt with color catchers. If you get any color on that paper--then wash away!

Blog Entries
    You can test with a small scrap of each fabric. Drop both in water, let soak for awhile, then smooth then out on top of each other on a paper towel to dry. If there is no dye in the water and if no dye transfers to the white, you do not need to prewash.

If there is some slight dye bleed, you can still skip prewashing if you plan to do the first wash of the quilt with Synthrapol in either a domestic top loader or large laundromat front loader. Synthrapol works best with hot water and lots of it; domestic front loaders often do not use enough water for this.

Blog Entries
    I've found that some batiks bleed horribly and others, not at all. The fabrics I buy (good brand names) have never bled but I was gifted with a lovely bunch from the island of Bali.

I'm SO glad that I tested one piece by soaking in hot water. With mine, the bleeding was almost instant and it bled a lot! I machine washed following directions on the bottle of Retayne and just last night finished ironing them!

Normally I do not pre-wash fabrics but this time with the intense colors I did.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I would wash them separately with color catchers.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I love batiks!!!!! BUT, I only buy the expensive ones because .... they don't run! I never wash my fabric before I quilt. And I always wash my quilts when I am finished, I have never had any run!

I always wash all of my fabrics before using them. I always wash them with color catchers. Not only does this eliminate shrinking and bleeding problems, it removes all chemicals used, and this has made a big difference in my hands/skin problems.

I would use retayne to fix the dye.

I wash Batiks with a color catcher and have never had a problem with running colors.

I buy only top-of-the-line batiks, I always launder them before I sew, and I still have had some bleeding issues. The color I have had the worst problem with was a deep turquoise blue, but any intense color can give you headaches. I would never skip pre-washing with batiks. Put the fat quarter in a lingerie bag to minimize shredding. Just my opinion.

I wash most of my fabric with the exception of precuts. I think if you wash some fabric in a quilt, you probably should wash all of it. Batiks do run and the white fabric will collect it. Use a color catcher in the wash.

Blog Entries
    I just finished a scrappy batik quilt. It has some light batiks in the flying geese blocks. I washed it with a few color catchers, and there was no bleeding.
    Barb

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I toss in color catchers with the first wash. If the quilt has intense colors, I may toss in 4 or 5 color catchers and even repeat if necessary. Generally I do check batiks AND if I prewash one type of fabric, I prewash it all.

It's unlikely, but if you are concerned, you could check by putting it in a bowl of water and microwaving it.

Blog Entries
    I don't wash everything but batiks and flannels or any fabric that I use to make garments I Always wash. Batiks will fade and shrink a little, I'd rather fine out in the beginning that after all that hard work went into it.
    Judy

I am in the 'I pre-wash everything' camp. I had a dark blue batik once that I washed numerous times with Color Catchers. I used it anyway and it bled on the quilt. I should have kept washing till it quit..or tried Retayne. lesson learned- if the color catcher is NOT WHITE...its still bleeding!

I would definitely wash the batik before using it with the white.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.