Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batik quilt help

Blog Entries

Batik quilt help

I have lots of batik fabric from other projects and want to use it up on a quilt. What's your favorite pattern for batiks?

I quilted a customer's quilt a few months ago called "Stained Glass Windows" I loved how she used all batik scraps and her black sashing made the colors pop. It was a simple quilt to piece but very dramatic. I will see if I can find a picture of it to post. If you have time, you might look on the web for stained glass quilts.

i bought this pattern class as i liked her night stars kit idid and had a lot of fabric left overhttps://www.craftsy.com/quilting/cla...Code=2b6a3a2d9 Gale

I think the beauty of batiks (besides their obvious beauty ) Is that they all seem to play nicely together and look great in just about any pattern, even samplers. Here is a batik block swap quilt I did with other members of this board several years ago:
    Name:  whole quilt.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  169.4 KB

While this quilt is all batiks with the exception of one block that had a blender in it I think batiks work just as nicely with other fabrics as they do with nothing but batiks. And the beauty of a sampler is you can try your hand at making blocks that are just a little out of your comfort zone and use up some of those scraps with maybe a neutral background in regular printed or solid cottons.

I mix and match batiks freely with printed quilting cottons as well as using them to the exclusivity of nothing else. They work wonderfully in needleturn applique. If you have lots of scraps in like colors you could try doing a "bottled Rainbows" quilt
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...2-t118490.html
    https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog...ape-quilt.html

Try using google or pinterest to look at images of batik quilts and you will get those creative juices flowing.

Here is a picture of Bobbie's Stained Glass quilt done with Batiks. I don't have a pattern, but it could be made easily without one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! Really shows the attraction of Batiks!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

How about a scrappy 16 patch, 2 1/2" squares, light and dark on the diagonal.

Wow, love the Stained Glass Windows quilt, really striking. I love batiks and have made lots of quilts with them. Let me look. Forgot to say; first one is just sort of a four patch in a square, second is Bento Box and third is I believe, is Yellow Brick Road. Don't remember what the last one is, sort of like YBR, but I think it might be from MSQ's Double Slice. Just about anything made with batiks is a winner in my eyes.

Last edited by sash; 12-28-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Wow! You all have some beautiful batik ideas in a quilt. I have been collecting quite a few for a project and you have given me a lot to think about. I like the 'color' jar idea, too. Love it. Hope more will show their quilts as well.

I am doing this square in a square pattern with batiks and white. It's one of those "long term" projects.

Name:  DSCN8384.JPG
Views: 1421
Size:  383.1 KB
    That stained glass quilt is beautiful.

Watson

Blog Entries
    The most fun quilt top I have ever made I made of batiks, copied after this inspiration quilt:
    https://sewingroomsecrets.wordpress....t-moment-when/

I happily sewed pieces together randomly, starched them, then used an 8.5" square template to create my squares. I followed someone else's advice to cut with strips running corner-to-corner rather than side to side, as it makes the squares more interesting. I love the way it turned out. It is sitting waiting until I can decide on a quilting pattern for it. Definitely one of my all-time favorites!

Another top I made with batiks (also waiting to be quilted) was a square-in-square with black sashing strips. I used my Accuquilt Go! to cut the squares and corresponding triangles. I think I found the inspiration here on the QB, but I haven't been able to find an example. It makes for a very colorful quilt that allows many batiks to mix with each other.

I haven't made the following quilt, but might in the future as it would be very easy and not as much sewing as the mile-a-minute: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/292804413265956434/

Blog Entries
    this is a close up of a batik i did. like one here, squares with strips added around them. turned out well and was easy.

Jenny @ MSQC does one that starts like a disappearing 9 patch with black between the 9 patch blocks. Quite simple and has that stained glass look. I'm not sure what she called it. And no matched seams. Looks like it was hard but was actually easy.
    Jan

My absolute favorite pattern is Boxed Squares. I have made it at least twelve times. It lends itself to many or any colors.

I also want to say that the pictures I've seen here are gorgeous! It's like having a quilt show in my lap.

Last edited by Boston1954; 12-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

This is one (1) jelly roll (plus border yardage) using the strip tube technique by Cozy Quilts. Pattern name: Just Too Easy. Did this one for a favorite uncle to practice strip tube technique. I was being ornery cuz his house is decorated all white. He loved it and proudly displays in living room. The only color in the house.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

This is what I did with my left over batiks
    Name:  DE4B4FF8-5E22-411E-92A5-343BC0999C52.jpeg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.69 MBName:  DE4B4FF8-5E22-411E-92A5-343BC0999C52.jpeg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.69 MB

I made a tumbling block with batiks...I love it
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

So many beautiful quilts. It would be hard to choose one!
    Linda J.

Yowza! These are some beautiful batik quilts!

Thank you for the many photos of scrappy batik quilts. I need your vision to see how to use all of the scraps I have. Not a batik fan but I use them to make quilts for others. I am now inspired to dive in and get the batik bin a little closer to empty. Beautiful examples!

I've used batiks to make a couple of Lucky Stars by Atkinson Design.. Sorry no photo... The last one pretty much cleaned out my batik scraps.

What is this pattern called. It is wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Wow...thank you sooooo much for your pictures and suggestions! I am INSPIRED!

Love batik fabrics and use them for every quilt pattern. Have made 2 of the stained glass quilts and that is a great pattern for batiks.

Blog Entries
    i was trying to get my batiks used up but of course found two great sales on 10 inch cuts. bought two!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast