Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are Batik quilts hot?

mac

Are Batik quilts hot?

Recently several people have told me that Batik quilts are very hot because of the closeness of the fibers and that the fabric doesn't breathe well. Has anyone else noticed or heard of this? I ask because I am considering making a quilt for myself in Batik fabrics. Being a woman in her late 60's, who still gets hot flashes in the middle of the night, I am now wondering if this is such a good idea.

I was planning on making the quilt with both the top and the backing in Batiks. In fact, I already have the fabric purchased. If the fabrics are hot, then how about just using one or the other on top or the bottom and regular cotton on the other?

Any opinions on this?

Blog Entries
    I've never noticed any difference at all.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I can't answer for sure on the temperature of quilts made out of batiks but I would think it would depend on the batting you use too. Also, maybe just use batiks on the top and something with a little looser weave for backing. I will be watching this thread closely as I am considering making a quilt with batiks. I am sure you will get very good responses to your question from members on the QB.

I have made many with batiks and regular cotton, and never noticed any difference.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I never noticed a difference.
    Kindness matters

Jackie

Agree, the batik is not going to heat you up ...
    ... though the batting you choose can make a huge difference in that factor!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

most sheets are more closely woven than batiks, and as long as they are cotton they breath just fine.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Batiks are cotton, and like nice quality sheets. They breath. The batting choice may make them hot. Use a lightweight cotton batting and light quilting for a summer weight quilt
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I haven't noticed this but I live in cold weather country. I have made several batik quilts tops and have use faux batik fabric for the back. It sort of looks like batik but is lighter weight and costs less. and most importantly look good!

I think the warmth or lack thereof comes from the batting you choose. Some battings 'breathe' better than others. I like wool and silk the most. I do not use polyester in a bed quilt (in fact I rarely use it for anything). I use a lot of 80/20 because it is stable and works up well.

I don't find batik any warmer than other cotton fabric. I agree about the batting making a difference.

never have noticed a difference--I think it would depend more on the batting than the fabric

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Use a wool bat--it breathes so nicely so it doesn't trap any moisture and will wick that away. The batik should not make a difference but frankly I've never seen the any reason to put batik on the back of a bed quilt since it's so expensive and won't be visible.

I have a queen quilt pieced with batiks and backed with batiks using Quilters Dream Request batting and do not find it hot. It is actually my beginner's quilt class and added borders to make it queen.

It is really hot where I live. My summer quilt is batik on the front and the back. I have never had a problem with it not breathing. It washes well. When I am really hot, I fold up my quilt and use only my sheets.