Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks >

Batiks

Batiks

Old 02-14-2018, 05:05 AM

Default Which Is The Right Side On Batiks?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589055[/ATTACH]ANOTHER question about Batiks. Which is the right side of the fabric? The rough side with the color code dots on the selvage or the smooth back side? I just washed my piece of Batik fabric with a white tee in warm water. It didn't bleed. That was the second washing. The first time was in cold water with other like color fabrics so I don't know if it bleed the first time.
Attached Thumbnails img_5512.jpg  

Last edited by Wintergray; 02-14-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add photo.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I snip off a corner and hand wash in hot water with the detergent I would use for machine was. Swish the swatch around until well saturated, then lay on white paper towel. If it's going to bleed you will see it on the towel. I have had reds with no bleeding. But the worst case was a turquoise. I hade to wash that one twice! I also swear by color catchers. Love sewing on batiks!
Ditto. My worst bleeder was a name brand purple fabric.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it's hard to tell the right side from the wrong side. I don't worry about it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wintergray View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589055[/ATTACH]ANOTHER question about Batiks. Which is the right side of the fabric? The rough side with the color code dots on the selvage or the smooth back side? I just washed my piece of Batik fabric with a white tee in warm water. It didn't bleed. That was the second washing. The first time was in cold water with other like color fabrics so I don't know if it bleed the first time.
I don't believe that is a batik fabric. On a batik, you can see the pattern through the front and back clearly.

With your fabric believe the bottom is the right side of the fabric, the printed dots are on the right side to help match other fabrics to it.

Thank you for this post! I am getting ready to start a queen batik quilt (finally one for myself instead of my kiddos )

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 02-23-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM

That looks more like a Grunge fabric not a batik. Batiks are the same on both sides and I have never seen color dots on one. I wash them only when they are extremely stiff or dark. Some have extra dye and you can feel it or even smell it.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Wintergray, I don't think that's a batik. Looks like Moda Grunge. As far as which side you use... you paid for both sides so use whichever you like better!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Prewash the batik fabric as soon as you get home with a color catcher from the grocery store laundry isle. If you wash the quilt later, continue to use color catchers each time you wash it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 AM

I prewash everything, and have done much hand prewashing, and I can tell you I have had every color under the rainbow bleed when I was handwashing in hot water in a white sink where the color loss was evident. I am not referring only to batiks, but to all cotton fabrics, both quilt store quality and lesser expensive cottons. Yellow, pink, every color out there has bled for me at one time or another. You just never can tell what will bleed and what won't bleed.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 AM

I just got a jelly roll of batiks impossible to wash
Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't prewash my batiks, for the most part. When I wash the quilt for the first time, I take it to a laundromat and use their largest front-loader (provides as much water as possible to dilute any dye bleeds). I also use Synthrapol as the soap so that any loose dye particles are suspended in the water rather than settling into other fabrics. I remove the quilt from the washing machine as soon as it is finished so that damp fabrics are not sitting next to each other for any length of time. This has worked for me.

Prewashing all the fabrics that I bring home would take too much of my energy. I prefer to save it for actually quilting.