Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batt weight for very lightweight top

Batt weight for very lightweight top

Hi there -

Awhile back, I posted about the folly of piecing a top with seersucker, homespun, and other lightweight fabrics that stretch, fray, and/or can't be ironed flat. Weirdly, though, apart from the serious challenges of the fabrics, it is shaping up to be very pretty (if not sturdy.)

I usually use Quilter's Dream cotton in select or request. Select seems much thicker and sturdier to me. For something like this, would you go with a heavier batt to beef it up or stay with the lightest weight that's more like the top? Or maybe poly?

I'd be grateful for any ideas you can send my way. This will only be my 5th finish.

Hugs,
    Charlotte

I thin I would go with a lighter batting and cotton back. The one thing for sure I would do do a lot of quilting since you have already had problems with fraying and the different types of fabric. Please post picture. Good luck.

I typically use Quilter's Dream request or select, like you. I'd stick with the style of the fabrics and use the thinner Request batting.