Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for donation quilts >

Batting for donation quilts

Batting for donation quilts

Old 03-18-2021, 03:00 AM

I use pieced odds and ends from my other quilts for my baby and medium lap sized donation quilts. I use W & N. I bought a roll at the start of the pandemic and made about 3 quilts per month for a year. Still have plenty of batting to go. I would shift my pieces to one side or the other leaving a long "scrap" of batting that I can then piece with the iron on batting tape. Works well. I tend to quilt a bit heaver on children's quilts, more frequent washing, and have never had any complaints from friends or family about those heavily used quilts. They don't know the batting is pieced and I am not telling.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:42 AM

I use Pellon Natures Touch that is ordered from Walmart. Comes in a bolt that is 96 x 9 yards. 90% cotton and 10% Olefin and is a natural cotton/scrim. A bit thinner than W&N and I was worried about that at first, but after using a bolt of it I find that once I was the quilts before giving to Project Linus they are just as fine. I'll be placing another order this week.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jill Chasens View Post
I have been making quilt tops that will be donated to children in foster care and I will be quilting them myself on my domestic machine. Any suggestions about a decent, affordable batting to use? I don't mind eventually buying a roll for that use, but would like to buy a package to try first. I usually use Quilters Dream Select or W&N 100% cotton but if there is a more cost effective batting that will not be a real compromise I would love to try it. Thanks in advance!
Have you considered fleece. When on sale it can be 4 to 5 dollars a yard.can be the backing or inside. Very easy to quilt.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:06 AM

I buy a roll of poly batting that is a med. weight. It holds together well and is very warm.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:15 AM

Batting tape!!!!! Oh, I am excited. My machine is only straight stitch and I hate to drag out the Necchi to piece batting since sometimes we play well together, and sometimes we don't.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:59 AM

Batting tape is wonderful, I use it all the time.
This is a great post, I thought I needed to buy batting for making donation quilts, now I can decide what to buy. So I decided I should inventory my stash and found out that I have about 4 batts to use, so will wait awhile before I buy more.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:35 PM

For donation quilts I like poly. It dries much quicker and you never know if the quilt will need to go to the laundromat for cleaning

piney.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I won't use all poly batting for quilt and never ever any poly for a child's quilt. In case of fire the poly batting will melt not burn.