Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is batting necessary?

My friend's granny helped us make quilts when I was a kid. She made some of her quilts without batting and she called them "counterpanes" mostly used for summer on the beds just to give a lighter cover when needed in their old farmhouse. I always liked the rustic and romantic sound of the word counterpane, and now use it for any quilt that doesn't have batting. I have looked up the word, but the definition seems rather blurry and open to inturpretation. Guess it is up to the individual. Shelburn
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you have!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Its a preference ... of yours ! Like the song says .. do what you want to do !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

LOL! Ask them to show you the last quilts they made, then tell them to offer advice. Do what you want! It is, after all, your quilt or blankie or wrap or whatever!

Rules only apply to quilts entered in shows. Do like our ancestors did - whatever is appropriate for your circumstances. In Phoenix bed quilts don't need much if any batting, but in the mountains of Arizona most quilts will need good batting. I'm sure the same thing applies in other areas of the country. Also, the time of year could make a difference. For a baby born in late spring or summer I wouldn't want a heavy quilt. For a baby born in the fall or early winter I would.
    Shirley in Arizona

I think adding batting to a baby quilt that has a minkee backing would make the quilt too heavy. I like my baby quilts to be lightweight, after all they cover very tiny kids.

I make a lot of string quilts for charity using a large square of fabric as the foundation for each block. Between the foundation, fabric strips, many seams and lots of thread the blocks are pretty heavy. I skip using batting and back the quilt with flannel. Quilt is nice and cuddly without being really heavy.

sap
    I make a fleese quilt/blanket out a single layer of fleese w 5/8" seam. Snip the seam to make it look kinda raggy. I call them a woobbie and my friend takes one of his woobbies w him if he is going to be gone over night.
    I feel if I sewed it back together the way I want to I can call it what ever I want. Quilt or woobbie take your choice. O call by what ever you want, I don't care.

I've made several quilts with minkee on the back, two of which were extra long queen sized tshirt quilts. I did not put batting in them because the quilt itself is VERY warm and heavy just having the minkee backing!
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Banned
    I have a couple of gorgeous vintage summer quilts that don't have a middle layer and I just made myself a summer quilt with muslin for the "batting." I agree with gollytwo - when they start quilting they can do as they please!

I made a "summer" quilt for my bed and I only used a thin fleecy blanket as the backing. When I showed it at quilt guild and told them what I did everyone got excited and said they had never thought of making a summer quilt in that manner. As it turns out the quilt is still too warm when it's 100 degrees here BUT I can always turn it back and sleep with just the sheet. I put it together pillow case style so no binding was needed and it was thin enough on the edges so that all I did was stitch about a 1/2" all around to keep the edge from rolling. For added fun I machine embroidered butterflies randomly on the top to make it look more like a traditional quilt.

Tell your family when they make their quilt they can make it anyway they want. It's called creativity.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

I made a flannel rag quilt for my DH. I used batting in it and it was so heavy and warm that DH couldn't use it---and he is always cold! The next 2 rag quilts I made for my grandsons were made without batting. They loved them and used them constantly. I don't think you need batting in flannel, fleece or Minkee backed quilts. Ignore the quilt police. LOL

My 5-year-old grandson is asleep on my couch right now - waiting for his dad to come pick him up. He's sleeping under a "quilt" my son was given by a church lady when he graduated from high school - 14 years ago. It's a pieced top and solid cotton backing. There are a few straight quilting lines and that's it. Perfect weight. My grandmother also called these "summer quilts". In all of these the middle layer is love.
    So many quilts, so little time.

pic of sleeping grandboy under summer quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So many quilts, so little time.

Awwwww! What a sweet, little angel! Priceless picture!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

If I were making a quilt to be used in the summer (maybe one for the porch swing, or a tablecloth) I wouldn't use batting. I live in MT so batting is a must for the bed quilts!

See....there are no rules....just do whatever you need depending on the use/circumstance. I reckon if our quilting ancestors could see the amazing products available to us, they'd do backflips....minkee, panels, amazing threads, the internet, blogs, easy to quilt battings....they would be astounded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2