Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question from a newbie. Can I double it? Or other suggestions? >

Batting question from a newbie. Can I double it? Or other suggestions?

Batting question from a newbie. Can I double it? Or other suggestions?

Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 AM

Years ago I made a quilt for a raffle to be held for Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Riders. I told the long arm quilter that I wanted it fluffy (she had done quilts for me before)…..however....this time she doubled the batting and it made the quilt so heavy you couldn't pick it up!! Don't know what she was thinking. That quilt would have been great if you loved in Alaska, but not in Missouri. Because the quilt was so heavy there wasn't a lot of chances taken on it...not even to break even!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 AM

You may be confusing warmer with thicker. Reminder, it may seem thin but you are going to add 2 other layers to it. And, very important, you are a newbie and learning how to maneuver a quilt sandwich thru your home machine will take some time. A thicker quilt is a lot trickier to work than a thinner one. Whether you roll up one half or prefer to just bunch it up, that first center line can be very tough to get thru the harp. But, to answer your actual question - yes, you can double the batting, it just makes it a bit more tricky. One more tip - when making a table runner or placemats, I like to use the wine glass test. Does a stemmed wine glass wobble at all? Because this would not be a good thing!