Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps experiment >

Batting scraps experiment

Batting scraps experiment

Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 AM

Default Batting scraps experiment

I know the topic of "what to do with batting scraps" comes up periodically. I'm trying an experiment. I chopped them up into confetti and mixed with melted wax (leftovers from scented candles - aka early Covid warning system). Waxy cotton was mashed into cardboard egg cartons. We'll try them as fire starters.

Will post update later!
Old 11-20-2022, 10:33 AM

Very interesting... let us know how it goes. sounds like fun!
Old 11-20-2022, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I know the topic of "what to do with batting scraps" comes up periodically. I'm trying an experiment. I chopped them up into confetti and mixed with melted wax (leftovers from scented candles - aka early Covid warning system). Waxy cotton was mashed into cardboard egg cartons. We'll try them as fire starters.

Will post update later!
Are you just using cotton batting? I would be a bit wary of polyester as it may give off some more toxic fumes
Old 11-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

I have not heard of using batting scraps as fire starters but they should work well with the wax and egg carton.
I am going to do a I Spy with 5 inch batting squares and 1 inch black sashing. The sashing will finish at 1/2 inch and the batting edges at 1/4 inch seam will fill the sashing. I will quilt the squares as I go and then add a backing to the whole front and then stitch down the centre of the sashing. I hope it works well and should use up a lot of my smaller batting pieces.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:53 PM
Gay

scented candles - aka early Covid warning system ?
I have never heard of this - please explain?
Old 11-20-2022, 03:10 PM

One of the signs of CoVid is loss of taste and smell.

Rff1010, I too would be cautious about using anything but cotton batting especially if the fire starters are being used in the house for a fireplace or wood stove. My friend gathers pine cones in autumn and dips them in melted wax for firestarters.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:54 PM

Doritos are also excellent fire starters, who knew.
It's amazing the things you learn at boy scout camp, lol!
Old 11-20-2022, 04:13 PM

Yes, 100% cotton (warm and natural)
Old 11-20-2022, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Yes, 100% cotton (warm and natural)
Just a warning that Warm and Natural is not 100% cotton. It is 87.5% cotton/12.5% polymer fibers because it is needlepunched through scrim.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:20 AM

Also I'm giggling at the covid warning system, but the majority of people don't lose their sense of smell when they get covid, so please don't rely on that! However, if you do lose your sense of smell, then the reason is probably covid. There's someone tracking reviews of scented candles as an indicator of covid surges, so you can look that up to get an idea of what it's like. One of those things which is more useful for populations than individuals. Though wastewater tracking is more to the point, if less amusing than outraged reviews of scented candles.

I really wish the Warm Co didn't allow people to assume that Warm and Natural is 100% cotton. As a marketing policy, it's deliberately deceptive, and that's pretty off-putting. I mean, I don't use it because it's not a good one for hand quilting, but it's getting side-eye anyway.