Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting? >

Batting?

Batting?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Batting?

Hi I made a table top quilt I am going to use as a wall hanging. approximately 38” square. Can I just put a back on without batting in it?
Thank you for your time
Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM

It will hang much better and be a more comfortable table topper with a good light weight batting. I have only made one type of quilt without a batting and that was a Cathedral Windows. It did not require a batting. You will be much happier with a batting. Of course as the quilter it is always up to you.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Is the top pieced? If so it will have wrinkles if you don’t put in batting and quilt it or put something like a plush fabric on the back and quilt it without batting. If it is a panel or similar, you can leave out batting as it will all hang at the same rate because it has no seams or different direction fabrics.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:10 PM

How will you be hanging it on the wall? If you are framing it, it may not need backing or batting, you can put it around a piece of cardboard just like a needlepoint and stitch tight in big stitches across the back. If you want a display piece, I do agree with some sort of something in the middle. A piece of white flannel (prewash hot and dry hot first) can be just enough.

Sometimes a wall hanging needs a little curtain weight or washer or something in the corners to help keep them down and in place.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:13 PM

Yes it is pieced and will be hanging with wooden quilt hangers from Joannes they have marbles in slots to keep the quilt in place.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:23 PM

I use the same batting for wall hangings as I use in my quilts which is Quilters Dream. Often it is left over batting pieced together. I think it gives a nice finished look. Most of my wall hangings are made from patterns that include batting in the finishing instructions.