Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for table runner >

Batting for table runner

Batting for table runner

Old 08-23-2023, 03:42 AM

Default Batting for table runner

Hey Friends,

I’ve searched the boards but haven’t found an answer to my question.

I’ve pieced a table runner, and not sure what batting to use to quilt it. Would you use insul-brite so hot dishes can be set down on it? One or two layers? Will it wash up well?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-23-2023, 04:00 AM

I generally just use batting. Single layer. My tabletop has glass so i dont worry too much. Times i feel i need more i use a trivet
Old 08-23-2023, 04:02 AM

I have used both insulbrite and another time cotton batting. Both laid on the table the same way. Even with the insulbrite, I use hot pads. I would save the insulbrite for true hot pads. I can never remember which one has it in it and which one doesn't.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:07 AM

I'd say it depends on how you are going to use this runner. If it's for hot dishes, you may want more in it. But if it's only for decoration, you may want something not so puffy so vases or other decor will sit evenly on it. One placemat pattern I have suggests simply using a layer of pre-washed/pre-shrunk flannel only to give it a bit of body.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:24 PM

If I am not going to use my runner or topper as a hot pad, I like using fusible fleece. It gives nice body, but lays flat. I have also used felt and liked the results a lot.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:35 PM

For hot pads, I like Insulbrite in the middle of 2 layers of cotton batting.

For a table runner, I like 1 layer of Winline 80/20.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I use deco bond for table runners. It lays flat.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:13 AM

I use insul-brite for anything that might have hot items on it, but usually, I use regular cotton batting scraps for decorative table runners and table toppers. I don't like table runners which don't have any batting at all - they just slide around too much, and I like the heft of the ones with batting.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:21 AM

I've never used insul-bright before and have ordered some as I want to make up some hot pads and oven mitts. Are there any tricks to using it, or is it just like regular batting? I was thinking of layering between cotton batting, but was wondering if that would be too thick. I don't want my hot pads or oven mitts to be so thick/heavy/stiff that I can't use them to grip pans or cookie sheets.

If I only use the insul-bright as the first layer under the 'top' and a second layer of cotton batting on the 'back' is that insulation enough? Or is it better to go with a sandwich of insul-bright layered between batting layers? Or is isnul-bright good enough to just use alone?
Old 08-25-2023, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I've never used insul-bright before and have ordered some as I want to make up some hot pads and oven mitts. Are there any tricks to using it, or is it just like regular batting? I was thinking of layering between cotton batting, but was wondering if that would be too thick. I don't want my hot pads or oven mitts to be so thick/heavy/stiff that I can't use them to grip pans or cookie sheets.

If I only use the insul-bright as the first layer under the 'top' and a second layer of cotton batting on the 'back' is that insulation enough? Or is it better to go with a sandwich of insul-bright layered between batting layers? Or is isnul-bright good enough to just use alone?
Insul bright is NOT good alone. A friend gave me hot mits with only Insul-bright and I burned my fingers.