Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting tape

Batting tape

The new batting tape that you can use to piece smaller pieces of batting together so they can be used is great. But I have discovered that it is much cheaper to make your own, I purchased lightweight fusible interfacing and cut it into strips and it does the same thing. the packaged kind is like tricot, and you can purchase the very same thing off the bolt at Hancocks or JoAnn's and make your own. It comes in both black and white.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea! I tried out the batting tape and really like it, but a cheaper option is great! I'll be picking some up this week! Thanks!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I'm going to try this, thanks!

I still just butt up the pieces and zig-zag them together.

Blog Entries
    great money-saving tip. thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    The new batting tape that you can use to piece smaller pieces of batting together so they can be used is great. But I have discovered that it is much cheaper to make your own, I purchased lightweight fusible interfacing and cut it into strips and it does the same thing. the packaged kind is like tricot, and you can purchase the very same thing off the bolt at Hancocks or JoAnn's and make your own. It comes in both black and white.
    Thanks for the tip! The last roll of batting tape I bought cost $8.50 ! Convenience costs!!!

I really like the new batting tape. I normally zig zag on Warm and Natural, but zig zagging didn't work as well for Quilter's Dream. I could feel the zig zags in the quilt when using it. However, the batting tape eliminated that problem. I was limiting it to large pieces due to the cost. Good to know I can use the cheaper stuff on the bolt. Remember though - you want it fusible only on ONE side, not both!

I still prefer to Zig Zag as I do not trust the tape to hold when put in the dryer. My thinking is that the same heat that causes it to fuse , can cause it to come apart. Even the "permanent" fusibles will have the bond fail at some point in the dryer.

Just a quick question regarding the batting tape do you use it on the top and bottom of the batting pieces

Smile batting tape

Do you iron the batting tape to the top and bottom of the batting. Sorry if this comes in twice as I think one went into cyber heaven as I can't get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by majormom View Post
    Thanks for the tip! The last roll of batting tape I bought cost $8.50 ! Convenience costs!!!
    I got one at a LQS doe $8.50 and the other from keepsake for $5.99. But this is so much cheaper

Just one side

When joining batt pieces with zigzag, I use a longer stitch; not like a satin stitch, and have no problems with Quilter's Dream (which I use all the time). Warm & Natural is a stiffer batting, true.

Wonderful - thanks for the info. I did use the tape and it worked great (pricey) but this sounds much more reasonable especially with a coupon.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    It isn't that expensive. Can you imagine your DH buying his duct tape in big pieces and cutting it in strips? Duct tape is sold in big pieces now and would be cheaper then buying it on the roll. Let him save the money cutting his own tape so you can buy the ready rolled instead of the other way around.
    Got fabric?

I do the same thing. I'm afraid that the tape might come apart eventually.

QUOTE=ka9sdn;4879365]I still just butt up the pieces and zig-zag them together.[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. I bought the tape but haven't tried it yet. Nice to know that it works but now know that I can save some money. The question about it coming apart in the dryer...wouldn't the quilting hold the batting in place or am I missing something?

Blog Entries
    the fusible tape isn't permanent though. you still need to be sure to sew well in those joined areas. I used a roll that i got free and wont' bother buying any in future. i'd rather hand sew or machine sew the edges together. that way, i know the batting will stay in place.

Blog Entries
    I have used the batting tape to repair a cut on my entry way rug. I pressed the cut together on the back. It's held up to many vacuums and shampoos and beatings outside. It's a wool tufted rug with canvas back. Kinda porous backing to be fusing together but it's holding like new and thin enough so no distortion in how the rug lays.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    the fusible tape isn't permanent though. you still need to be sure to sew well in those joined areas. I used a roll that i got free and wont' bother buying any in future. i'd rather hand sew or machine sew the edges together. that way, i know the batting will stay in place.
    Have had no problems with it not holding together when done as the directions say Once it is in the quilted, there should be no problem

The fusible tape smells funny but I use it all the time. I think if the quilting is thorough, you don't have to worry about it coming unglued eventually. Unless, of course, you don't quilt closely. I can't imagine making strips of fusible interfacing instead of the tape - too much work! Different strokes for different folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    The fusible tape smells funny but I use it all the time. I think if the quilting is thorough, you don't have to worry about it coming unglued eventually. Unless, of course, you don't quilt closely. I can't imagine making strips of fusible interfacing instead of the tape - too much work! Different strokes for different folks...
    With a rotary cutter and ruler it takes just minutes to cut and saves a whole bunch of money. You pay for the convenience of having it already cut

Blog Entries
    i use a fringe foot and sew them togeather. the ridge on the fringe foot keeps the ziz-zag from pulling tight and forming a ridge on the batting pieces.

Great tip. I think I already have some.