Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Batting to use?? >

Which Batting to use??

Which Batting to use??

Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM

I guess batting, like all things, is all about what you like. I'm with the MadQuilter. I love my Warm and Natural. I'm finishing a poly batting right now that I bought because I cheaped out and I'm not very happy with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Wool, wool, wool!! My wool batted bed quilt, which I also handquilted with a big stitch, is by far my favorite all season quilt.....very soft, this the right weight, breathes well, not stiff from the quilting, drapes beautifully. With interior night temps set at 75 degrees on the AC I can sleep under this quilt comfortably. Just LOVE wool batting. Find it from Hobbs at Hancocks of Paducah or Quilters Dream Wool Batting at Connecting Threads.

Jan in VA
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM

I use Warm & Natural/White because I prefer breathable cotton, to poly. It is initially a bit stiffer, but I find that makes it easier to sandwich. The more you wash it, the softer it gets. I also love the way it shrinks, just a little!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM

I make a lot of charity quilts. I like to use fleece. For baby quilts I use the light weight fleece available in Walmart. It's lighter for a small child to tote around and drapes nicely. For bigger quilts I use the heavier weight fleece. I don't know that it feels like a blanket, but it does feel softer (to me) than cotton batting.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM

I think batting is a real personal choice. What one person loves, another will hate. That's why there are so many different battings. Plus different battings will give different looks to the quilt too so the batting that's perfect for a 30s reproduction style quilt will be all wrong for a modern style quilt. So try lots of different battings and see what you like and what gives the quilt the look you're looking for.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 AM

I use Warm and Natural cotton, Warm and White, Hobbs wool or just fleece. My choice usually depends on what I'm quilting and for whom. Baby quilts often get fleece. I use wool if I want the stitching to stand out and sometimes I piece together a bunch of leftover cotton batting if I'm just doing a scrappy for around the house.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 AM

Quilter's Dream is my favorite! Love the poly and the wool. Very soft and drapes beautifully.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by hockeymom444 View Post
I absolutely LOVE Quilter's Dream batting. The poly feels and quilts like butter. The cotton is just wonderful. The wool is divine.....it's all just wonderful. I won't use anything else. (wow...didn't mean to sound like a commercial) lol
DITTO!!!! I hand quilt and the wool is WONDERFUL.