Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Used for Hand Quilting >

Batting Used for Hand Quilting

Batting Used for Hand Quilting

Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

wool is very lightweight, but loftier than cottons, and a dream to stitch through.
mountain mist cotton is made for hand quilting- as is hobbs heirloom select.
batts with scrim (like warm & natural are made for machine quilting- and are more difficult to hand quilt (because of the scrim)
any batt that says quilt 2"-4" apart is ideal (they do not have the scrims)the Dream batts are all pretty nice to hand quilt... i love the bamboo and the dream orient (which is a bamboo-silk blend) but wool is my favorite- lofty but light!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

interesting to read that what does not work for one person is another person's favorite
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
interesting to read that what does not work for one person is another person's favorite
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I guess I will have to take notes and go check them all out. I use low loft poly now but I think I want to check out the wool. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

One of the few classes I've taken was a hand quilting class.I said at the beginning of the class that I'd been hand quilting for over 15 yrs But could always learn more! Boy did I!
One of the things she did was to make a practice sandwich with 4 different kinds ofbatting. She had a circle drawn for us to practice on. The best to quilt on was the poly.,but the wool was almost as good. I like natural fibers so wool is what I've been using & the more I use it the more I like it. It's cool in summer & warm in winter! My stitches are getting smaller & smaller!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
One of the few classes I've taken was a hand quilting class.I said at the beginning of the class that I'd been hand quilting for over 15 yrs But could always learn more! Boy did I!
One of the things she did was to make a practice sandwich with 4 different kinds ofbatting. She had a circle drawn for us to practice on. The best to quilt on was the poly.,but the wool was almost as good. I like natural fibers so wool is what I've been using & the more I use it the more I like it. It's cool in summer & warm in winter! My stitches are getting smaller & smaller!
Any brand in particular that you have found to be nice to work with?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 PM

I like a very traditional look of my quilts so I prefer a cotton blend like Hobbs 80/20 or Legacy 80/20 or pure cotton. I have also tried wool and it's wonderful to work with. What I don't like are battings with a scrim.
I would love to use the Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon but it isn't available here in Germany...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

I prefer wool or polly. Poly Mountain Mist or cotton poly Hobbs 80/20 but I like Moutain mist better. I do not like Warm and Natural for hand quilting and I think it is not designed for it.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 AM

What exactly is scrim and why don't you want it for hand quilting?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
What exactly is scrim and why don't you want it for hand quilting?
It's a thin sheet of synthetic material that holds the batting fibers together. It can make it harder to quilt, but it also enables you to quilt less - I believe you can leave 10 inches open with Warm and Natural because the scrim keeps the fibers from lumping together.

Janet
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by dublb
Any brand in particular that you have found to be nice to work with?
Hobbs Heirloom wool is nice but the wool by the bolt is a little more consistent & more expensive, however when it is quilted they both look the same. I try to buy whats on sale. I don't have many choices here in Midland.