Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting vs. flannel for rag quilt??? >

Batting vs. flannel for rag quilt???

Batting vs. flannel for rag quilt???

Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Batting vs. flannel for rag quilt???

Which would be the best fabric for the middle? I have some jeans of my dad's and want to make a rag quilt but not sure if the batting would make the quilt too heavy especially having the denim fabric as the top layer. I have so many scraps of warm and natural and thought I might use these scraps up but also thinking the quilt would be too heavy. Any info or advice would be so greatly appreciated. I know everyone on this QB is so helpful and make great suggestions.
Thanking you all in advance.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure you would even need a middle fabric if using two layers of jeans. When I make rag quilts I use 3 layers of flannel, all the same size, so I don't have to make an X in the middle of the block. Using 3 layers of flannel (and sometimes I mix in some corduroy) also gives more fabric to provide those lovely ragged seams.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 PM

The two rag quilts I made consisted of two layers of flannel no batting.

Rob
Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Never having made a rag quilt, I really can't answer, however, it makes sense to me not to use batting due to weight. Top layer: denim squares. Backing: flannel (one piece). No middle layer. The denim would be the layer that frays, not the backing. Just my 2 cents...maybe not even worth the 2 cents, though.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM

I am not sure how helpful this will be but I made a catherdal window type raggity demin quilt. It was one layer of denim and one layer of cotton quilting fabric. No batting. If you count the folded over edges of the demin circles, I guess it could almost be considered two layers. It is quite heavy but nice and warm to snuggle under during long cold Michigan winters.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

My friend made a rag quilt from jeans but she backed each jeans square with flannel and put flannel in the middle. That quilt was HEAVY.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 PM

I used old jeans on the front and a layer of flannel for the back, it was heavy. My son loves it. It will probably last forever.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 PM

I have made several rag quilts with old jeans on one side and flannel on the other. I did not use anything in the middle. The quilts are very heavy. I also do not sew the X across the block
Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I will probably just use your advice and have a top lay of denim and bottom layer of flannel. I am not able to sew yet as I have a boot on my right foot because of a broken bone but thought I would be able to just cut out the squares. I thought the denim layer, batting layer and flannel backing would be too much but just wanted all of your opinions and I appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

i made some rag quilts using heavy denim on the back and chamois type flannel for the top layer. turned out nice - but heavy.

if you sre thinking about having some sort of "pattern" with the denim - i learned to keep each group of squares from each pair of jeans in a separate stack. i had no idea that "denim" could vary so much.