Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting for warm quilt? >

batting for warm quilt?

batting for warm quilt?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM

the warmest quilt I ever made, and I still use it, but only in the winter...was filled with an old fleece blanket that I was recycling. Man that thing will toast your toes and the tiny holes made by the needle and thread just seem to seal up on their own. Now I recycle fleece blankets into all the baby blankets I can. Machine quilts up nice too and no shifting with use so it can tied. The other thing is not to quit it too closely. You need some air pockets to trap warmth. Puffy is good for getting a warm quilt.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

the military now has warnings at the commissary that you can not use liquid detergent or ANY fabric softener on the new BDU uniforms, as it coats the fibers and makes the uniforms easily detectable under certain lights....it also caused them to deteriorate faster!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM

My husband says that when his grandmother was alive and made her quilts she made them thick and warm and did them by hand quilting them on a frame I think from the ceiling. He isn't sure with what she had used. Even though we live in Ga. now he wants his quilt to be thick like the way she made it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by deema
I made one with an old fleece blanket for batting, that thing is toasty warm. Otherwise, I'm thinking wool.
Agree! Wool is nice and toasty!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Quilter's Dream Puff and flannel for the backing!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM

The warmest quits I have made were for my two boys and they specifically asked for batting and fleece. So that is how they were 80/20 and fleece for the backing. They turned out great and very warm.
I am hoping to try the Dream Wool in one to see how it is too. Would love to hear how people like it?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM

I googled: batting that is warmer than down. There were several sites. I cut and pasted the following info. Wonder if anyone has tried this and if it is managable to quilt on home machine. Quilters Dream Batting, Puff, Super Queen Size
Quilters Dream's "Puff" batting has exceptional insulation qualities. Light as a feather, yet 1-1/2 times warmer than down, and 2 times warmer than most high-loft polyesters. Loft is between 1/3 and 1/2 inch, yet very light-weight. Volume, definition and warmth without the weight. Fibers are carded, cross-lapped, & thermally bonded. Great for hand-quilting, machine-quilting, or tying. Confidently stitch up to 10" apart. No pre-washing necessary. Normally 0% shrinkage. Your pre-washing and selection of fabrics and thread will also affect shrinkage.

This listing is for a packaged Puff batting in Super-Queen size, which measures 120 inches by 93 inches.
Limited Quantity Available: 1 in stock

Price: $21.00
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
The warmest quits I have made were for my two boys and they specifically asked for batting and fleece. So that is how they were 80/20 and fleece for the backing. They turned out great and very warm.
I am hoping to try the Dream Wool in one to see how it is too. Would love to hear how people like it?
I used Dream Wool for a quilt and it's noticeably warmer than the Dream Cotton and other cotton batts I've used.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by JAGSD
I used Dream Wool for a quilt and it's noticeably warmer than the Dream Cotton and other cotton batts I've used.
Thank you.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Wool is out for me then. I don't have a place to hang a quilt to dry.