Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting - to wash, or not >

Batting - to wash, or not

Batting - to wash, or not

Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

What a beautiful quilt!!! Great job. I,m no expert on this subject, so I will let all the experts answer your question.
Good luck.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
No need to prewash or soak batting, I don't understand why you are doing that. I've never in my almost 40 years of quiltmaking prewashed a batt. I do always wash and machine dry a quilt after it is completed and all is fine. I've used all cotton batts and the Hobbs 80/20.
I guess I'm doing it because I thought I had to, if I wanted to keep the kids' artwork as flat as possible. After doing this, though, my next quilt will be one for my own use. I won't mind a puckered look on that one!

Update on the Quilter's Dream batting. I did soak it, didn't spin it (after what happened with the Hobb's), and I can understand why they recommend NOT pre-treatment. It actually grew in length, and consequently became shorter across the width. After much reshaping, it was fine, and I was really impressed with how well the edges held up to my tugging. I ended up putting it in the dryer, but let it be known that I use the term "dryer" lightly. Living in NYC, there's no vent to the outside, so this one works by condensing and draining the water. Much more gentle (and ineffective) than a regular dryer. It measured 72 1/2" X 94" before, and 71" X 97" after.

Live and learn, right? Or as my dad says, "The only person who never makes a mistake, is the one that never does anything."
Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

I wash all of my battings, and have never had an issue with any of them! perhaps take to the laundry mat and use the bigger washer that has NO wringer in it!