Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Beautiful Life of an Ugly Quilt >

The Beautiful Life of an Ugly Quilt

The Beautiful Life of an Ugly Quilt

Old 06-18-2023, 09:28 AM

Default The Beautiful Life of an Ugly Quilt

I was gifted a collection of fat quarters that were simply not my taste in colours. Rather than leaving them to languish, I found a pattern and sewed them into a quilt. The final product wasn't bad and the quilt lived on the back of my love seat. One day, company from across the country came to stay and admired this poor ugly quilt. I eagerly encouraged them to take the quilt home with them.

That was ten years ago. This week, the same company came for another visit and told me this story of the quilt. They have two children who have both grown up with the quilt (now ages 12 & 14). The quilt goes from bed to bed depending on who has currently claimed it. The quilt has become a source of comfort and is always in use. The kids have outgrown being able to cuddle under the quilt but it lives on to warm feet or to wrap around shoulders. When someone wants the quilt, they ask around "Where is Barb's Ugly Quilt?". Yes, the quilt is known as Barb's Ugly Quilt, showing us all that love and comfort does not lie in beauty. The quilt could not be in a better home.

Here's a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails 2008-07-14-wickedly-easy.jpg  
Old 06-18-2023, 09:41 AM

Oh, it's not ugly at all! What a beautiful story & quilt. I would say high school graduation quilts would be a great surprise for the two children. After they have left home the "ugly quilt" could stay at mom & dad's house for when they come back to visit.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:45 AM

That was a beautiful story. It sounds like that "ugly" quilt is very much loved and treasured.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:05 AM

Thanks for sharing that lovely story! (Not ugly!)
Old 06-18-2023, 11:27 AM

Deep down inside, I think this is my hope for every quilt I make: that someone will find beauty, comfort, joy, purpose or encouragement from it. What a great quilt and such a lovely story - thank you for sharing!
Old 06-18-2023, 12:01 PM

What a happy life that quilt has lived.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:16 PM

I've been told there's a home for every quilt. It's our job to try and place them where they belong - if we could only have this success more often. Your story gives reason to keep on quilting - thank you for sharing!
Old 06-18-2023, 05:19 PM

That is a lovely quilt! I love those colors, and fabric styles. So glad you were able to pass a love of quilts on to toddlers, who grew up to appreciate them as teens!
Old 06-18-2023, 06:37 PM

Ha! The "Beautiful" quilts I have made and gifted are in pillowcases in closets. The "Ugly" quilts I have made are on people's beds, couches, chairs. I have been told the "beautiful" quilts are too good to be used. I now only make "Ugly" quilts!
Old 06-19-2023, 01:38 AM

Beautiful quilt, I love it and the colors! Your story is the epitome of what every quilter wants for the quilts we make and give, what a heartfelt beautiful story.