Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Bugs >

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM

This whole discussion makes me itch all over! LOL!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaKathie
I work in a homeless shelter in Iowa and we have a terrible problem with them. The exterminator told us they were pretty much eliminated in the United States about fifty years ago. Then they banned the insecticide that was used to kill them and they have been on the rise ever since. We have tried everything to get rid of them, but with so many people coming and going, they are taking them with them when they leave and bringing them in when they come. We have not found any way to completely get rid of them. They are small, but not too small to be seen - bigger than a flea, smaller than a fly.
Thanks for the size reference! I was wondering.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM

They are supposed to be the size of small apple seeds, black and easy to see...........yuk
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
They are supposed to be the size of small apple seeds, black and easy to see...........yuk
That's just the adults, the babies are supposed to be the size of poppy seeds..
Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM

I wonder what physician's offices are doing to address this potential problem in their waiting rooms? The exam rooms can be "isolated" if needed ( year, after 5 days worth of patients have come and gone before the hitch hikers are noted) but not so the waiting rooms.

Bring back DDT... at least we know the risks now compared to all the new and improved stuff..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
(the above said in jest)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Ignore this space....my mistake

:oops:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Thought I'd share something that confirms what others have posted plus a bit more info.

I just recieved this from a friend who knows.....
It would help if I added something: :?

BED BUGS......thought you might like to know

Pass the word. This is important, and precautions could save you a lot of headaches later.
A bit of information that you might like to know about. We have friends here in our community and one of their sons is an entomologist (insect
expert), and has been telling them that there is an epidemic of bed bugs now occuring in America. Recently I have heard on the news that several
sotres in NYC have had to close due to bed bug problems, as well as a complete mall in New Jersey.

He says that since much of our clothing, sheets, towels, etc. now comes from companies outside of America, (sad but true), even the most
expensive stores sell foreign clothing from China, Indonesia, etc. The bed bugs are coming in on the clothing as these countries do not consider
them a problem. He recommends that if you buy any new clothing, even underware and socks, sheets, towels, etc. that you bring them into the
house and put them in your clothes dryer for at least 20 minutes. The heat will kill them and their eggs. DO NOT PURCHASE CLOTHES AND HANG
THEM IN THE CLOSET FIRST. It does not matter what the price range is of the clothing, or if the outfit comes from the most expensive store known
in the U.S. They still get shipments from these countries and the bugs can come in a box of scarves or anything else for that matter. That is
the reason why so many stores, many of them clothing stores have had to shut down in NYC and other places. All you need is to bring one item
into the house that has bugs or eggs and you will go to hell and back trying to get rid of them. He travels all over the country as an advisor
to many of these stores, as prevention and after they have the problem.

Send this information on to those on your e-mail list so that this good prevention information gets around quickly.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Yikes. dh just bought a new quilted shirt to use as a jacket and I know for sure he did not wash it. I guess it's too late now if there was anything in it but I'll tell him to get it washed tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Good info! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM

You can also go to a high end department store and bring bedbugs into the house or on your person. It seems from what I have read that in some foreign countries people are not bothered by this little rascals and they are then transported through the goods we buy from these countries. Another reason to buy USA.