Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bedspread Advice >

Bedspread Advice

Bedspread Advice

Old 12-08-2021, 07:29 PM

I need to do the same because when I put a quilt on my bed , the box spring shows and hate those dust ruffles also. Go ahead and show us on your bed when it is finished.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:33 PM

Not sure what you mean by a bedspread (spread/quilt) but I wanted to tell you that I made what I call a summer quilt last year. I've been working on it on & off for several years & finally finished it. It has no batting in it at all. For me, I can use it on the bed year round (DH still thinks it too heavy) & it's the perfect weight. I wish I had made it a bit longer on the sides as I don't have a bed ruffle but it's o.k. for us. I absolutely love it. I just "quilted" it as if it had batting in it. Here's a picture of what I made.

Attached Thumbnails cal.-king-summer-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-09-2021, 04:20 AM

Some times the simplest idea is the best idea, so go for it.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:31 AM
mkc

For those who don't care for dust ruffles, don't forget the more tailored and contemporary options of straight-sided bed skirts with kick pleats. They aren't hard to make. Laurie Medford has a class on Craftsy showing how.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:10 AM

​​​​​​
I received this bedspread and valances as my early Christmas gift. It is made of twelve inch squares of various printed material and has another print for the backing. The spread hangs to the floor and is long enough to tuck under the pillows but shams were also included so i use those as well. I love the curtains made to match the spread. The same prints were used in narrow strips. The name of the spread is Blooming Prairie in case you would like to get a closer look. Just google Blooming Prairie Spread. I don't know if you planned to make blocks that you had put together yourself or to just use blocks of various prints but just thought I would show you what I have. Label says 100% cotton batting but I would recommend something very light or not at all as another member suggested. The blocks on my spread cover the entire surface up to the binding. I love it and think you will like one made this way too. I too was tired of bedskirts and yet I wanted something that extended all the way to the floor. Please show us when you have it finished or possibly even give us a progress report.