Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bee fabric (or other insect fabrics)

Have you checked out bugfabrics.com? You'll love it!

My grandkids called my mother "B". She was an alteration lady all her adult life and was known for her expert sewing. Now that she is gone, I try to put a little "bee" fabric in all their quilts, just to let them know "B" is still with them. Corny I know, but it keeps her memory alive.
    MOMIMI

Quote Originally Posted by MoMiMi
    My grandkids called my mother "B". She was an alteration lady all her adult life and was known for her expert sewing. Now that she is gone, I try to put a little "bee" fabric in all their quilts, just to let them know "B" is still with them. Corny I know, but it keeps her memory alive.
    MOMIMI
    I think that's a great idea! Sounds like the "goldbug" in the Richard Scarry series I read to the kids when they were little.

Bees-no thanks for me, but I can put them in a kid's quilt.
    I got swarmed when I was little, so I will pass!
    As for snake fabrics--you can keep 'em!

Blog Entries
    My Father was a beekeeper. So of course bee fabric has a special meaning for me. My sister and her husband took over the business so I make things with bees on them for her.

Snakes do to me but DS 10 sleeps under a snake quilt. He specifically asked for it. He is also the kid that has a a bug quilt.

Also have an adult son that is into spiders. I made him a pillow case with realistic spider fabric and his room mate at college forbade him to use it.

Snake quilt
    Name:  Attachment-108050.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  162.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Do bee fabrics "creep you out"? Or are you only afraid of real bees" (I know what my MIL would say - she HATES bees!)

How about other bug fabrics?

Should I even ask about .... snake fabrics?
    I Love all bee, bug, and snake fabric and any animal!!!! :thumbup: :XD: :-D

I have bug fabric haven't used it yet but snakes NO

I wish bees weren't so maligned. My Dad and I raised bees when I was a little girl. They were like our pets. They really are docile and industrious little critters. In all the years we raised bees, the only time I got stung was when I did something dumb--and I did it knowing that I would probably get stung! My Dad did three tours in Vietnam and I took care of the bees while he was gone. He wrote me letters with instructions on what to do next.

Anyway . . . bees are some of my favorite people. If we didn't have bees, we wouldn't have honey, fruits, vegetables, etc. Wasps and Yellow Jackets, now that's a different story. I hate those buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Do bee fabrics "creep you out"? Or are you only afraid of real bees" (I know what my MIL would say - she HATES bees!)

How about other bug fabrics?

Should I even ask about .... snake fabrics?
    Right now, I'm looking for Ladybug fabrics and not the ones with a lime green background.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I wish bees weren't so maligned. My Dad and I raised bees when I was a little girl. They were like our pets. They really are docile and industrious little critters. In all the years we raised bees, the only time I got stung was when I did something dumb--and I did it knowing that I would probably get stung! My Dad did three tours in Vietnam and I took care of the bees while he was gone. He wrote me letters with instructions on what to do next.

Anyway . . . bees are some of my favorite people. If we didn't have bees, we wouldn't have honey, fruits, vegetables, etc. Wasps and Yellow Jackets, now that's a different story. I hate those buggers.
    I'm a Master Gardener. We learned that most of those wasps etc. eat the white flies, mealy bugs and aphids so they are really our friends too

I am all about butterflies and especially ladybugs. If I see a piece with ladybugs, I almost always buy it, even if I can't or shouldn't afford it. It is my major addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher

I'm a Master Gardener. We learned that most of those wasps etc. eat the white flies, mealy bugs and aphids so they are really our friends too
    See? Even the most unsympathetic among us have their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybugnana
    I am all about butterflies and especially ladybugs. If I see a piece with ladybugs, I almost always buy it, even if I can't or shouldn't afford it. It is my major addictions.
    I even have a Ladybug watch band. My friends know my likes so I'm getting quite a collection. Since I'm a MG, my girl friend got me a candy dish made from clay pots painted like a LB. I love it.

As a matter of fact I have a big piece of very realistic snake fabric that I would love to do a purse in...so I can have a snake skin purse. Hee hee hee. Unfortunately I have big time problems making purses.

Banned
    love bugs but SNAKES are too many steps too far------HOOOWL!!

Blog Entries
    I have just gotten into Bee fabric my daughter just started teaching kindergarten and her room theam is bees I am making her a Bee tote bag when that is finished I will be starting a small quilt with bees fabric. It will be my second quilt ever

I love bees and bugs and creepy crawly fabrics. Not snakes, unless they are comical. I admit it. "I am a fabricoholic"

I can handle just about any bug, spider, snake, but oh, never, never centipedes. Just something about then and all those legs and the fact they bite....Also I hate the way they move, all squigly.

I have bee hives and a small honey business. I started about 5 yrs ago when I was NOT allergic to bees. Now I leave the "work" up to my husband and collect bee fabric!

np3
    Blog Entries
    I like the juvenile prints, but I don't want to look at a real snake on my fabric. Especially in a quilt on a bed when I enter the room with just a touch of light. Nope, don't think so.

I don't like the spiderweb fabrics - I considered using some for napkins to go with my Halloween placemats, but when I thought about bringing them to my mouth I realized that I was not comfortable with that choice.
    I like your bee fabric, and I'd be grateful to see more real bees - my garden is
    having trouble with pollination, given the die-off of many bee colonies.
    Judy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamannix
    I don't like the spiderweb fabrics -
    I can deal with the webs as long as there is nothing 8-legged IN the web. Still working through my arachnaphobia.

My friend can't even hear the name "snake" mentioned or she'll start shaking. Poor thing was standing ON her desk a few weeks back because a little garter snake got lost in her office. No bigger than a worm, really. But I understand because even little spidies can make me jump.

I too am having problems with "drop offs". I had zucchini get about 2 inches long and fall off. in fact, vine crops are not doing well (zone 7 in the PNW). They have flowered and that is where it stops

I have 3 hives so I am really puzzled.

I like pretty much anything---except spider fabrics! they're bad enough alive, I can't imagine sewing with them on fabric.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast