Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • before or after sandwiching? >
  • before or after sandwiching?

• before or after sandwiching?

Old 04-27-2021, 03:59 AM

Default before or after sandwiching?

Yes- this is the question I have. I'm working on a small wall hanging & it is machine applique. Do I do the machine blanket stitch before or after I layer it up with batting & backing. Not the most important question of the year, just want to know the thoughts of more knowledgeable folks than me. Seems sometimes the simplest things aren't discussed as they may seem obvious to all.
    Thanks for your suggestions & help.
    sewverybusy1
    Old 04-27-2021, 04:23 AM

I don't know if there is an "Official way", but I look at the size of the wall hanging and how much appliqueing there is to do. You are going to want some quilting on it and more as it gets bigger to stabilize the wall hanging and keep the layers in the right place. On smaller wall hangings, a lot of times....I will use a light stable batting and do my blanket stitching by machine on just the batting and top. When I am done with this I will go head and apply the backing. Sometimes I will do some light quilting on it then to stabilize it. I have also done machine embroidery on wall hangings. On those I usually just stitch out the motifs using the stabilizer recommended in the hoop and do some quilting after the quilt is put together.
    Old 04-27-2021, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

Generally you do all the fancy stitching before sandwiching. You can use a buttonhole stitch or similar through the sandwich but you will need to enlarge the stitch length a lot because the thickness will pull up a lot. The drawback of that is the appliqué will not be fastened very securely and you will have the buttonhole stitches visible on the back. For a wall hanging, it might be okay since you will not be washing it.
    Old 04-27-2021, 10:47 AM

Are the appliqué pieces fused on? That might make a difference in how much stitching is needed to hold them down.

I would be tempted to go through all the layers because that would obviate the need for stabilizer and you could get away with a lot of denser or fancier stitching without worrying about it pulling up or puckering. It would reduce the amount of quilting needed, too.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the thoughts. I like doing the sandwich & then all the stitching through all layers. (less fiddling!) I do see too, that going just through the applique & the batting could be another good option. I'll give both ways a try on some orphan shapes & see how it all looks.
    As always- good suggestions with reasons & choices!
    Folks here are so very helpful. Guess that's why I come here to learn & improve. Thank You all so very much!!!
    sewverybusy1