Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beginner FMQ question >

beginner FMQ question

beginner FMQ question

Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Just a thought....make something not so big, and something that won't really matter if there are mistakes. Then try it out to get comfortable with it. Maybe like the size of a wall hanging. Because if you try this and things go wrong you would be so upset if it was something you were giving as a gift. etc. Its alot of fun. And before I had my quilting machine this is how I fmq'd my quilts. Play you some music to get you going in a good relaxing rhythm and before you know it, you will be going at it like you were born to do it. :D :thumbup:
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM

And don't forget to breathe!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Right now, the only thing I can do is meander. I roll up one side of the quilt, and I start at the top block in the center row. I move to the right and then back to the left of that block until it is filled. Then move to the one below it. I always do one block at a time. Doesn't seem so overwhelming to me then.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
And don't forget to breathe!
lol
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
Right now, the only thing I can do is meander. I roll up one side of the quilt, and I start at the top block in the center row. I move to the right and then back to the left of that block until it is filled. Then move to the one below it. I always do one block at a time. Doesn't seem so overwhelming to me then.
That sounds like a good idea too. thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 AM

Depends on what I am deciding to do on the quilt, on a piece of paper I plot it out, sometimes to keep it stable I will SID on some borders if I do that I start in the middle & work my way out to one side than I go back and do the other side. Once that is done I go back starting in the center and do my FMQ by sections. I don't roll my quilts I puddle them they seem to move easier for me and I don't end up with any puckers on the other side. When I plot the sections on paper is when I decide what parts will be FMQ, which parts are a stenciled pattern, etc. I have an adjustable stool to sit on so my hands are above the quilt and I am not reaching up and I can easily see my stitching as I go. Not sure if this makes sense to you but its what I found that works best for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 AM

I roll my up, start in the middle, quilt 1/4. Flip it aroung and quilt another 1/4 etc until all quilted. If it is a baby quilt I start in the middle and quilt all around until done. If I want to echo stitch around the block, a dresden plate, I quilt each block.
Good luck and post pictures please.