Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner looking for an easy project (or a good book) >

Beginner looking for an easy project (or a good book)

Beginner looking for an easy project (or a good book)

Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by *twin:mami*
My first quilt was crazy circles using the drunkards path templates!!! But I am just crazy like that! LOL :lol:
LOL

Nothing like jumping in the deep end is there! ;-)

I did the same with a stained glass quilt.... my first ever was a very complex design I drew myself. Looks stunning, but was hard work!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Awesome! I would love to see that! I am hoping to learn how to use the heat and bond to do some large applique of elk and moose. I took a hand applique class, Celtic knot. Made our own bias strips. I really enjoyed it. Umm it's not done. The boys knocked the basket over in the car and spilled soda pop on it before I finished it. Oh well. No biggie! At least I know how to do it. What I want to learn is the pretty hand stitches to embellish a Sun Bonnet Sue. I worked in an office administering chemo. One of my patients wives was a quilter and she had brought in her Sue quilt. OMG! She did it all by hand and it was just gorgeous. I couldn't sneak it out to my car though darn it!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM

hi Becki;
I am also a beginning quilter. I have several great grand-children & have been making quilts for them. I have made princess quilts for the girls & different boy themes, including race cars. |I get fabric that has the theme I want & fussy-cut out the sections to the dimensions I want. I then do log cabin squares using the colors in my main theme. I alternate them until I find a pattern I like. Much easier than I make it sound. I also found a pattern for shining star quilts that I love. It is very easy & uses 1/2 square triangles. Color combinations are unlimited & they are so easy & quick. Hope this helps.

Peggy/granny(13 great-grands)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
Hi everyone, wow so much friendly advice. I appreciate everyone's reply.

I am not locked into 10 inch blocks, but I'm looking for something really unintimidating to start with and 10 inch blocks seemed like a good idea. But I am not experienced enough to really know for sure what I want to do at this point, so I will definitely put more stock in the opinions of experienced quilters if anyone has alternate suggestions.

My two year old wants a purple pony quilt and my four year old wants a race car quilt of undetermined color. Most likely red, but it will depend on which race car pattern(s) I choose.

I do have the book "Your first quilt book (or it should be)" but I was put off by all the complicated-looking diagrams and lack of photographs. I am probably being unfair, this was just a first impression and I haven't really sat down to read it yet. Also I don't want to do any shapes other than squares for my first quilt ... I just want it to be really straightforward so I can go from there.

Thank you again ... the "Simple Nine Patch" link does look like a simple one. It's also probably a good idea to do something a little smaller first ... I'll have to put some thought into what.

Becki
Horses or cars in the FABRIC would be your best bet - in a pattern like 4-patch or 9-patch like others have suggested.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Hi giddyup I am new also & have a perfect patern for you! It is in the Fons & Porter's easy quilts you can get it online a Fons & Porter's website or I believe at books a million! There is one for a girl real cute & one for a boy cute & easy! Good luck! :D
Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Fons and Porter is great.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM

I just got an email from Clotilde featuring this quilt, and I think it's adorable! It's smaller than a twin size, but I bet it wouln't be hard to make bigger., and it's rated for a beginner.

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...source=EUDE1EA
Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
There is a website that is called "Teacher's Pet" they have a wondeful begginer pattern called "take 3" or there is one called "take 5" The idea is you take 3 fabrics or 5 fabrics and make an easy quilt. I have made several of these for gifts. They are great !
deetee: I Googled but didn't get anything except a teacher's union-type site. Can you be more specific about the e-mail name/address? I'd be very interested in taking a look at the Take 3 or Take 5 quilt block. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi Becki;
This is a follow-up to my recent tips. I found the web site for the Shining Star Quilt & other patterns. It is www.calicocarriage.com. They also have a kit you can purchase.
Also, if you get a new machine ,make sure it has a needle down feature on it & if it does not have a 1/4 inch attachment ,it is well worth it to purchase one.

Peggy
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Hi - if you have not found a pattern yet, a very simple one is the friendship star - it is a center square block with half square triangles - it is great to use as a larger block pattern and it can be used to highlight printed fabric - I used it with fish fabric for the stars and blue for the background -- looked like an aquarium! quilterscache.com is an excellant place to go for patterns.