Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner mistakes with basting spray >

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 AM

I also did that the first time that I spray basted a quilt. At the time, I was so disgusted that I just left it sit on the shelf a month. When I went back to it, lo and behold, the adhesive had dissipated some and it quilted just fine. Luckily for me, I was not in a hurry.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 AM

I'm guessing you over sprayed. It really just take a light spray. I fold top and batting to half way, make sure the backing is smooth then lightly mist the batting and backing, then pull the batting over the backing and rub over it to have it stay. Then fold the top up half way and lightly spray the batting and back of top, bring it over and smooth. turn the whole quilt around and repeat with the other half. Oh leave the spray sit for about 15 seconds before you smooth, it seem to help. If anyone else has ideas please share as I am always open to learning a new technique for quilting.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 AM

thanks for the Link went in and read , Iv used several different brands of spray, never really had a problem just lightly spray and it works great,
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 AM

I'm with featherweight, I could'nt finish a quilt without June Taylor. Luv, luv, luv the stuff. So easy peasy. Don't even use pins. Needle NEVER gums up either. Just spray like hairspray, I spray both sides. Then stick together and pat, pat, pat. A little extra on the corners for good measure. Read the labels, ladies, there's some real permanent stuff out there. Not good. June Taylor washes out easily too. And it is also good for the babies, no allergic reaction for my GC, by the time they get the quilt, it has dissapated.
A win-win situation.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Some suggestions that work for me. DO NOT ASSEMBLE IF YOU ARE TAKING TO A LONG ARM QUILTER as they do not like the spray basting. They will take it apart.
1. Tape the corners of the backing down to the floor tightly. This will keep the back from moving. You might even use a blanket underneath so no 'overspray' gets on surrounding area. No fun scraping up sticky residue from floor.
2. Spray lightly avoiding the edges.
3. Place batting on backing and smooth out.
4. Spray top of batting.
5. Lay or unfold the quilt top. And smooth out wrinkles.
6. Pin edges and remove tape from floor. You can roll up or fold if small.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

So sorry you had to learn through experience, sometimes that isn't much fun. But...I love the spray! Use it very lightly, it just doesn't take much, which is good since its fairly expensive in my book! I use the 505.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 AM

When using 505 I do not spray like I would if I were spray painting. You lightly spray. So many times we over spray.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 AM

I like the 505 better than June Taylor. The June Taylor seemed way stickier than the 505. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have to agree that you got too heavy with the spray. I have used this brand and not had any problems...
I am sorry you have had to learn these hard lessons :(
SEEMS LIKE WE ALL HAVE THE PROBLEM OF USING TOOO MUCH SPRAY AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. THAT COULD OF BEEN IT. GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 AM

I tape a large sheet on a wall (I keep a sheet just for this as it gets sticky) then put my backing on it and spray lightly, then my batting and spray, then the top. I prefer this to working on the floor. Works well for me