Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?) >

Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?)

Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?)

Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM

I taught my then 10 year old son to sew and then he made a nine patch table runner - two actually mostly on his own. Because of his age I cut the materials - though he very much wanted to... :). Now that he is twelve he is allowed to cut the fabric as long as I'm right there with him. Has he made mistakes - of course, but he did the majority of them on 'cheap' fabric and is getting better. I let him go to my stash and choose whatever he wanted - do you know how hard that was for me? to take the chance of giving up some of MY stash? :) - alas and alack though - he matches quite nicely.

Then I taught an older woman how to sew the same table runner - by SHOWING her how to cut and then letting her do it (she already knew how to sew) and then telling her what I thought was the best method. She had a blast.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM

sHEILA
I love sewing just about everything an as i said i can make it all just about.i might get to make daughter inlaws wedding dress or find one that i can adjust for her she's only a size 10 or 12. i just hope they have a full life with out alot of troubles.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 AM

I'm teaching my 10yo dd to sew. She's helped me work on dresses for her, she's made a nine patch pillow by hand, and she is now working on her own quilt. She found a picture online of a quilt she liked and printed it off and brought it to me to ask if she could make one like it. She picked out her fabrics from my meager stash and then we figured out block sizes and how many she would need to fit her bed. I did most of the cutting for her but she has done all the sewing. the top is almost together. I also give her free access to fabric and the sewing machine. She sometimes just sews lines and sometimes she makes little bags.