Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Beginner's Question? >

A Beginner's Question?

A Beginner's Question?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 PM

I need help in putting together the first quilt I've ever done in my life. I have 2 rows left to put on the bottom and then I'll be ready to put it together. Know any web sites that will tell me how to put it together. The books I have, don't give me enough info. I'd appreciate any help at all!!! Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

What exactly do you need help with? Borders, binding? A little more information please :D
Old 11-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi! Thanks for replying so quickly. I have this huge quilt that I've put together as a patchwork--just the top--I also have a huge piece of batting to go with it (I'm hoping they'll fit together) and a huge sheet that I was planning on using for the back. The only way I can figure to put these three pieces together is to either use the floor or the bed. Could I pin this together or baste it and maybe try using some kind of ring to quilt it? I'm not sure if any of this is making any sense to you or not. I started working on this quilt about 4 yrs. ago. I took squares and sewed them together and made long strips, then sewed the strips to a large piece of material that had horses on it. That piece is in the center with all the patchwork surrounding it. It's really quite pretty. I really would like to make a real quilt out of it. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Here is a post from the board that may help you, if you still have questions, feel free to ask :D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1121.page

Old 11-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Is your top squared- same length on both sides, same width across top, middle, and bottom. You will need to make a sandwich of batting between top and bottom. Do you have space to sprawl? Ideally, you can find some big banquet tables to work on. Clamp or tape layers down, smoothing out wrinkles as you go. This can be basted, pinned, glued, or tied to stay together. Will this be a tied quilt? Machine or hand quilted?

The search function above will let you explore the different choices.

Have fun!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes, it's one big square, fits on my queen size bed with some overhang. I'm not sure whether I'm going to use the machine or hand-quilt. I've never done either one, so I'm not sure which is the best way to go.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 AM

If you have never machined quilted, I suggest you get some good advice from the pros on this site. I'm surley not one of them. I would suggest Hand Quilting, but you need a hoop or frame to do that, the hoop being the cheapest route to go with. If your not familiar with machine quilting, it can be daunting, and frustrating if you don't study it first. I'm assuming that you really want this to finish up nicely, since your proud of your quilt and its taken so long to finish. So I would keep it simple, and basic. Sandwhich, Baste, Then Hand quilt. If you want to find out the pros on this site, then enter a thread calling on expert advice and the hits will come. We have several that know their stuff. The ones that are gracious, are willing to help. Good Luck
Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM

if you are going to hand quilt this quilt, do not use a sheet for the back. It is too tightly woven and you can not needle thru it very easily. You will be fighting every stitch. You can buy backing 108" wide in many fabric shops as well as Joann's Fabric. Marge
Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 AM
bj

Fabric.com also has a very nice selection of fabrics called quilt backing and broadcloth. It has a great variety of colors...much better than JoAnn's offers here. I've ordered from them a couple of times and it comes within 4 or 5 days.