Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is being "easy" a problem?

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I have done a few secret pal swaps and just recently signed up to do a table runner exchange.

I'm wondering how many of you prefer "I'm easy, whatever is fine with me" or do you prefer to be more directed?

I like to say "I'm easy" but is that easiest for my partners?

I like to give a little hint of colors/but usually give the design up for 'what ever'. Some people want something specific others are up to the 'giver'. Some people that are the 'givers' want directions. There are as many ways people like the swaps done as there are quilters on this forum.....

Blog Entries
    I always leave it up to the quilter, I love the variety of blocks/quilts that I receive. :D:D:D

I might specify colours if I want it to tie in with something, otherwise I leave pattern up to quilter.

Power Poster
    I like some direction - otherwise I stall out being indecisive

Maybe swaps aren't for anyone who needs direction, or feel like they need to give directions.

you guessed it! I'm not in a swap ;-)

I like it if they at least tell me favorite colors or colors they don't like. Other than that "easy" is fine. :D

I assume the guidelines are laid out.

for the swaps yes, for the actual items exchanged no.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I assume the guidelines are laid out.

I think this is my problem. If I have something in mind things go ok. But when I am clueless then I get stuck in "what if".

Just wondering if others do that and how much guidance a person likes :)

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I like some direction - otherwise I stall out being indecisive

I like some guidance, and I also like being able to tell people not to send me candy. I hate to see people waste their money and effort.

Blog Entries
    i prefer a little guidance... when i respond to a swap partner i may say make it scrappy or this is what my decor is, so i try to leave it (wide-open) as far as what to do but offer some idea of where it will be used so i'm not as likely to receive things that i open and say...
    now what the heck am i gonna do with this? it clashes with every room in my house. in the past 5 years this has only happened once...the one time i said...oh, it doesn't matter, make whatever you want,i will love it, what ever it is....well, turned out to not be so true (and it was even from someone who had been to my house) since then i always offer at least a little (likes/dislikes guidelines)
    when i get a swap partner who has offered no ideas i usually try to go to them directly and ask a couple questions...like, getting ready to work on your table runner, do you have a favorite color? or is there a favorite block you just love and wish you had something with? do you like modern fabrics? florals? ...
    i ask questions...if all i get in return is...do what ever you want i still can't leave it quite alone...i go to their profile and try to find out a little more about the person....has the person posted some of their work? what seems to be their (style)...do they have kids? there are (clues) that i look for. if i really can not get any info i finally make what i want and hope.

I would rather be surprised and leave it up to the person, anything goes...... I love seeing all the different combos of colors and blocks.
    I thought that were for surprises.

I wouldn't want someone looking for something they couldn't find and feel bad about this either.