Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On Being a Slow Learner >

On Being a Slow Learner

On Being a Slow Learner

Old 06-22-2020, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Default On Being a Slow Learner

I have seen many posts that recommend used dryer sheets to prevent build-up and sticking on irons.
Easy enough to try.
Didn't have to buy anything new.

So, why did it take me so long to try it?
works like a charm!
makes an old iron like new!

I need an emoticon that smacks me on the head!

Has anybody else out there finally followed a suggestion they wish they'd tried sooner?
or is it just me?
Old 06-22-2020, 07:10 AM

You may have just forgotten that you read the tip. LOL!

I use a cotton pad with alcohol and wipe the iron. It works greats when I manage to get fusible on the iron.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Wonder clips. I resisted because I have perfectly nice pins in several different sizes and thickness. I finally won a bunch of them in a door prize last year at my guild and they have really come in handy. I use them for holding together things that don’t pin well or I don’t want holes in and they are dandy for holding my binding when I hand stitch to the back.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 AM

Oh no-- I am right there with you on always learning a new trick. That is why I love this board. Everyone is giving great ideas which some work and some don't but it is worth trying for myself.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Always! It happens all the time! I sometimes even share the idea with others with the side note that I have not tried it yet myself but it gets great reviews. It may take me a bit to learn and jump into new Ideas but when I do look out world. I'm thinking about how long it took me to start glue basting! Now there is no going back.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:54 AM

Tartan, I'm right with you on the wonder clips. Quilter's Select rulers are next. What a difference non-slip makes. Also, a thank you to Patrice for the Organ needle tip. I have them now and they make a difference in the larger size. I come from a dressmaking background and used a Schmetz 12 as my go-to needle. I went up to a 14 Organ and my machine likes it better. Maybe a 16 is in my future. Thank you for the tips and the wonderful information I get here.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I haven't tried this yet but I will. Rub a white Tylenol pill on a heated iron and all the gunk rolls right off.

I have always seen the cord minders for the ironing board but never thought it would be anything special. I found one at the quilt shop for 50% off so I bought it. Why haven't I been using this years ago!!! It's great for the iron cord staying out of my way. It clips on the ironing board. I can't believe I passed it up for so long. Sullivans 12710 cordminder.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Little Wonder Clips....And there are sooo many others uses for them around the house!!

Last edited by Kitsie; 06-22-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Pressing seams open. I dug in my heals for a long time until this last quilt which is a pinwheel. Finally tried and by gosh, it works a treat!

Watson
Old 06-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Dryer sheets may sometimes work, but when I had a gunky iron the only thing that got the gunk off was Magic Eraser.

Ditto on the wonder clips. I didn't know I needed them until I tried them, and now I couldn't do without them.