Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Benefit of waiting too long to change rotary blade

Benefit of waiting too long to change rotary blade

There was a thread a while back about how many people wait too long to change their rotary blade. I replied that I was one of those people. Well, I was greatful last night that my blade was dull. I finally did it...my hand slipped and I cut my finger just under my nail. It could have been much worse had my blade been sharp. Now I am really chicken to change my blade.

Blog Entries
    I know how you feel! Sometimes I think my rotary cutter can be closed, in the drawer or cabinet and all I have to do is walk into the sewing room and Viola! I've been cut!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Lucky you didn't do too much damage. I try to change mine before it gets too dull because I tend to put more pressure on a dull blade. I figure if I'm really pressing hard and slip.....not good.

I'm with Tartan - if I have a dull blade, I'm *more* likely to cut myself.

Same as with sharp knives in your kitchen, you'll more readily cut yourself on a dull one. I have been trying to change more often but I tend to wait too long also. They're so expensive.
    Debra

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Lucky you didn't do too much damage. I try to change mine before it gets too dull because I tend to put more pressure on a dull blade. I figure if I'm really pressing hard and slip.....not good.
    You are so right. It was a dull blade and heavy pressure that cut a chunk of the outside of my left index finger which will never grow back.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the theory that you will get cut quicker using any type of dull blade or cutter. I think you lose a little control if pressing harder, etc. Glad you weren't hurt any more seriously!

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Hope you will heal quickly
    DEB CAVAN

Oh, I also hope you heal soon. Don't do this again!!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I think it is amazing we don't hurt ourselves more often. We play with scissors, rotary cutters, seam rippers, needles, pins, racing sewing machine needles.... We're downright dangerous!

I use a special glove that helps if you slip
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I use the Klutz Glove from Fons and Porter. It's not cut proof but cut resistant.
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

I did the same thing the other day and I am diabtic so it is still healing. I won't do that again. Hope you are okay.

So glad you were not badly hurt. That being said, I am of the opinion that more accidents happen with blunt tools because whilst you are struggling to make the thing cut, you end up slipping and cutting yourself. If it is slick and easy there is less problem. (Just my theory).Hope you recover quickly.

I'm surprised that we don't hurt ourselves more often. I tend to get careless when I'm in a hurry to get things cut so I can start sewing. I'm always anxious to get to the next step in making the quilt so I can see what it looks like. So far I haven't cut myself with my rotary cutter, probably because I don't change blades very often. They seem to stay sharp for a long long time.
    Sue

Glad your cut wasn't worse!

I'm glad you didn't cut yourself really bad. But, the reality of it, is that if your blade is dull you put a whole bunch more pressure behind it to cut and then if you slip guess where that pressure is going!!. A sharp blade does not require the pressure, so is truly safer. Just change the blade!!.
    unclefreckles' Grandma

I am fine, thank you for your concern. As for the blade, I never thought of it that way but you quilters are right I was pushing really hard to get it too cut and that probably is why I slipped. Lesson learned, change blade when needed.

Blog Entries
    I just changed my blade this morning after cutting and re-cutting the last couple of days. I almost forgot how nice a new blade cuts! And yes I very much agree that you're more likely to be cut with a dull blade or knife than a sharp one.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I generally get my husband to change mine. He just smiles and says "okay!" He's a gem!...
    Country 1

oops! Thank goodness it wasn't worse.

glad your okay,I to need to change my blade...I have been pressing harder to get it to cut right
    change the blade and be careful :-)
    I Love ALL kinds of CrAfTs

Ok, so I am just an idiot. I changed the blade with one of the Harbor Frieght blades but felt like I ws pushing too hard so after cutting a few more strips I changed the blade again with the Olfa blade. Made a few more cuts and what a difference, it was so much easier with the Olfa. BUT then I cut myself AGAIN, same finger, alittle worse than the last cut but not too bad. I have decided that I definitely need the KLUTZ glove because I am a big clutz to cut myself twice in one week.