Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 1230 quilting >

Bernina 1230 quilting

Bernina 1230 quilting

Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Bernina 1230 quilting

Hi there,
Just new to this board from NZ .
I have a Bernina 1230 and wondered if it was possible to quilt using 1/4 inch templates and an adapted foot. Has anyone succeeded in doing this or is there no hope for my machine .

Many thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I thought there was a 1/4" foot for that Bernina. If not, using the foot you prefer, move your needle position to the right to where it will create a 1/4 inch seam if you track your fabric along the edge of that foot. I know the presser foot is not as wide as the feed dogs on many of the computerized Bernies, but if you have a foot that will cover the feed dogs, and for which you can move the needle to the right enough to make that 1/4" seam at the edge of the presser foot, you can use the attached method to help keep a good straight 1/4" consistently. (Click on the picture to enlarge it.) P.S. Use tape to hold the Post-it Note pad in place if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 01-07-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada When you mention 1/4 inch templates, do you mean the 1/4 inch thick rulers ? If so, you need the Bernina ruler foot to work with the thick rulers. The special ruler foot rides along the thicker rulers preventing the needle from hitting the ruler and damaging the machine or ruler. Look up the Bernina ruler foot and rulers on YouTube to see if that is what you are looking for.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Bernina does make a ruler foot but be sure it will work on your machine. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I need but I'm hearing from the Bernina stockists that the #72 foot would not work on my machine so just wondering if any of you had got around that as I would love to work with the template rulers to do curves etc.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

If your dealer says the #72 won’t work with your machine, I don’t know what you can do. You really need the ruler foot but........before they came out with the #72, I glued a little 1/4 inch round washer that exactly fit my darning foot circle to give me the extra thick foot. Did it work perfectly no but I did manage to use it. Sorry you can’t get the #72 because it works dandy.