Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 230 help oiling >

Bernina 230 help oiling

Bernina 230 help oiling

Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM

Default Bernina 230 help oiling

I purchased a 230 used this year and only tested it until now. I have been piecing quilts, everything has been fine until tonight. The sound of the machine is off. I thought it was time for a lint cleaning and oiling. Then I found a problem, I can’t figure out how to open this machine to do it. I cleaned a bit of lint(nothing serious) via the bobbin door. The needle plate doesn’t have a screw, I removed the screws on the back of the bed and the side upright but I cannot get the compartments open. I have been using cotton thread so there is a good chance there is lint up top.
The machine makes the same sound without fabric in it so I know it is not a dull needle issues.
I hope my poor little machine doesn’t need to go to the dr, I will take it if I need to but I would like to clean it out to see if that is a problem first.

TIA
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM

If I remember correctly on Bernina's you only oil the hook assembly!

Did you get a manual? Go to the Bernina website and look up your machine info, somewhere they should give directions for the correct oiling.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Are you asking how to get the needle plate off to clean underneath it. On the Berninas I have seen ( I have a different model) There is a little circular marking on the needle plate that looks a little like a target. First remove the needle and presser foot, then press down firmly on that circle and the needle plate should just pop loose and you can pick it up. Then just press/snap it back in place when you are done.

Let me know if you need a picture.

Edit: I found a video for you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJCRfpO_MVo

Last edited by azwendyg; 12-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I looked at the video and that is exactly how I oil my Bernina 1230. New machines all have encased motors, which is why there is no other oiling. Vintage machines need to be taken apart and all the moving parts oiled, but that is not the case with newer sewing machines.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the help getting the plate off, that is very neat and I wish all machines were like that, no need for a screw driver.

I do have the book but is doesn't show removing the plate, the only useful maintenance it gives is changing the light bulb. I did oil the chase but I don't buy "modern" machines don't need oiling or cleaning, friction causes wear and damage, oil reduces friction of moving parts. After purchasing my Elna and removing the side housing cover I found the better part of a spool of thread wrapped around the uptake and several other moving parts, I suspect it was the reason the last owner sold it.

I did get the housing cover off, with WAY more force then should be used. It turns out it has 3 catches/hooks that hold it and need to be worked off perfectly to come free, or they are going to break, just like the hook I broke off the silly extension table the first time I used it.

Thank you for your help, after de linting and oiling the uptake and needle rod it sounds much better.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM

You don't. I also have a 230. It is a sealed unit and only a technician can open it. Your instruction book should have some instructions but you can't take it apart like you could with the older Berninas. I clean my 230 after each project. I take off the needle plate, then open the door and remove the bobbin and the unit the bobbin sits on. I use a brush to get the lint off of the teeth and anywhere I see lint. I also have a small vacuum attachment that sucks up a lot of lint you can't see. Then I put some oil on the end of a q-tip and run that lightly over the inside of the bobbin and around the bobbin case. I also use the oiled q-tip to lightly rub over the moving parts. My Bernina tech told me that when he does a clean he uses up to 4 different types of oil and that is why the unit is sealed. If you are having a problem you possibly have something jammed somewhere. Perhaps a small piece of a broken needle or thread. If you haven't really used it, you should be able to take it back and have it looked at as it should have been thoroughly checked and cleaned before you bought it. It's a good machine and you shouldn't have problems with it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM

On my Bernina 430, I put a drop of oil in my bobbin assembly after about every 2 bobbins. I sold my Bernina 220 recently but on that machine, I also oiled it after every 2 bobbins. When it needs oiling, the machine starts to sound louder when you are using it.