Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 770 on a frame >

Bernina 770 on a frame

Bernina 770 on a frame

Old 03-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Default Bernina 770 on a frame

Anyone ever try their 770 on a frame? I was really close to buying a HQ16 but the shop suggested buying the bernina frame at a great price before going all in. I couldn’t find a post or video anywhere about it.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Looking at the pics of a 770, I would say that looks like it wouldn't have much throat space after you do a couple passes of quilting, I think I would pass on it and get the 16. This is just my personal opinion though.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:08 PM
mkc

By the time you get done giving up 4" or so to the rolled-up quilt and take-up bar, you're not going to have much quilting space left. Seems like a waste of a versatile machine. The 16 will at least give you 10-12" or so space for quilting (the Amara is better at 20" and the underlying electronics, etc., are quite a bit ahead of the 16).

Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 AM

I was hesitant to put my Bernina on a frame like that?

And i did just take the plunge and purchase the HQ20 with software!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:50 AM

Enjoy your new toy, Fizzle.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Enjoy your new toy, Fizzle.
I think if folks want to put a machine on a frame. Just get a real longarm. I had a regular sewing machine on a frame....then I got a APQS Lucey. world of difference. I do have fancy machines that could be used on a frame. But why spend the money on a fancy machine that can embroider and do all those fancy stitches....when you can just get a long arm that does one stitch...a straight stitch. They hold up a whole lot better and have longer necks and are just easier to use on a frame. If you are on the fence about if you really want to long arm...just find a quilt shop that rents out time on their long arms, take a class, see if you like it before you invest in a long arm. Oh, and there are used long arms out there without all the fancy bells and whistles that a home quilter really doesn't need. I know there are APQS and other major brands that have lasted 20 30 years. some of them are real workhorses
Old 03-07-2021, 12:05 PM

I actually wish I bought the HQ16. The frame I picked up was only $300 so I thought I could try it with my current machine. If I think it’ll stick, I can get a new machine for it. Otherwise, I can just sell the frame and hopefully get my money back.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:53 AM

Matzo I think that is a great idea! I am all for making sure it’s something you want to do before investing too much money! My sis bought one of those frames when she got her Dream Machine and never did use it. Finally sold it. Guess she didn’t want to do it after all.....
Old 03-08-2021, 03:54 AM

I will let you know how the HQ16 is soon! I hope. Should be here next week. Cant wait!!!!!