Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 830-just curious!! >

Bernina 830-just curious!!

Bernina 830-just curious!!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 PM

My parents gave me the "old" Bernina 830 in 1975 for my college graduation ... and when I turned 60 a few years ago my sweet DH gave me the "new" Bernina 750 QE... Love both machines.... I call the "old" Bernina 830 the "mechanical 830"... My sweet DIL has it now and is trying to squeeze a bit of sewing into her busy schedule. I've told her to use it before getting a newer machine. If you learn on an old "mechanical" machine, I think you appreciate the new one even more? My Bernina dealer keeps both machines in excellent condition and have advised me to "never sell!" I won't sell either one...ever!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post

I wish Bernina had named the new machine 'George' or something like that. Why cornfuse people?

tim in san jose
Yeah... pretty stupid decision on Bernina's part. Now we have to call our old 830s, Bernina Records. I somehow resent that!

I remember wanting the 830 So much back in the late 70's, but the price was $1080, way out of reach for me. (Remember Bernina sold this model as their top of the line for 20 years, it was that good.) I was able to buy one later, secondhand, for about $300. I ran the heck out of that machine, replacing the motor along the way, and then bought a second one when I found it used but in like new condition (the owner had only about 10 hours of sewing on it.) I still have that machine and have it set up beside my Juki quilter. I love it... so well built and so easy to pop open to clean. (Why can't they make all machines to do that?) I will never sell it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-08-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post

I've just got hold of an 831 from the 80s and would like to learn more about it especially oiling and maintenance. The manual doesn't include those things.
You may be able to find the manual for the 830 online. A lot of the models had red painted dots where you are supposed to oil. If you see those red dots, oil there. Open the top of the machine and also the arm plate to look for the red dots.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 AM

I bought mine from a garage sale 6 years ago. $40 for machine with attachments and heavy sewing desk. What a beautiful machine she is. Best garage sale find ever!! The thought of parting with her is painful.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

My friend's DH bought her the new 830 and she hates it. It is way too much machine for her. She does not use 3/4 the features and already had to have it in the shop four times. One fix was under warranty the others was to remove a bit a thread that was caught in the needle/bobbin area that she nor her DH could get out. The cost of those were over $200 each as the housing had to be taken off. She was told it was user error each time when the thread broke and the end was pulled in the machine. She uses the thread and bobbin the tech says to use and doesn't reset the tension from where he sit it, and only pieces with it so she won't get another $200 bill. I told her I'd tell the tech and owner to stick the whole machine where the sun doesn't shine and find a different dealer to help her with it.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 AM

I have had my mom's 830 Record for 20 years. I was afraid that I would "wear it out" with quilting large, heavy quilts, so I bought a vintage Singer 15-31 for quilting. I still prefer my Bernina with the knee lift and perfectly functioning walking foot. I also prefer the location of the bobbin for access during quilting, so I usually go back to the Bernina. For dressmaking, I love to use all the feet I have accumulated over the years.

That said, I would love to have needle up/down, a blanket stitch, and a three-step zigzag (for bra-making!). I have tried to use my daughter's Babylock for those things, but it just feels foreign to me. I guess I am only suited for mechanical machines.

Side note: I found an LED bulb online with the correct bayonet-style base last week. Works like a charm, but I think I am going to add another stick on light for night sewing.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My friend's DH bought her the new 830 and she hates it. It is way too much machine for her. She does not use 3/4 the features and already had to have it in the shop four times. One fix was under warranty the others was to remove a bit a thread that was caught in the needle/bobbin area that she nor her DH could get out. The cost of those were over $200 each as the housing had to be taken off. She was told it was user error each time when the thread broke and the end was pulled in the machine. She uses the thread and bobbin the tech says to use and doesn't reset the tension from where he sit it, and only pieces with it so she won't get another $200 bill. I told her I'd tell the tech and owner to stick the whole machine where the sun doesn't shine and find a different dealer to help her with it.
Sounds like the dealer/tech is ripping her off. To remove the housing all it takes it removing a few screws & lifting it off. I sat & watched my tech do it & he didn't charge me $200.00 to remove stuck thread! I'd be looking for a new dealer/tech & ask how much they charge.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 PM

I do all my piecing and domestic sewing on a Bernina 801 Sport. I love her and wouldn't swap her for anything. she is over 30 years old and I have replaced the foot pedal once.