Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR -Can we discuss? >

Bernina BSR -Can we discuss?

Bernina BSR -Can we discuss?

Old 10-03-2020, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Default Bernina BSR -Can we discuss?

I'm finally taking the time to get better at machine quilting. However, I'm having a hard time with the BSR. I can't find a Youtube video to address my issues.
When using mode 2 it keeps stopping on me. I don't care for mode 1 at all but this stopping is driving me crazy.

Yesterday I unplugged the BSR and just used it for the foot. My quilting was so much better and no stopping.
I also did some ruler work with great success. Again, the BSR was deactivated.
I'm disappointed as I thought having the BSR would be great and it's a very expensive gadget. I'm sure it upped the price of my 770QE a lot.
I love this machine but I'm beyond frustrated. Any ideas, advice, or anything?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:03 AM
mkc

Not specifically familiar with the BSR, but it appears to function with #1 being cruise (needle keeps stitching when you stop moving) and #2 being precise (needle stops when it senses fabric stops moving).

Have you seen this site in your searching with suggestions on stitch length changes to improve responsiveness?
Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I only use my BSR in mode 2 because I prefer to stop and reposition my work and hands when the needle is stopped. There is a learning curve but I am pretty good with it.
I caution you with using rulers without the ruler foot. You need the # 72 so the ruler doesn’t slip under a low foot and the needle hits it. You could void your warranty and damage the machine if you hit a ruler. If you are using the #72 with the ruler foot......never mind.😁
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Tartan, yes I'm using the ruler foot but thanks anyway just in case I wasn't! I can see why you may have thought that by my wording.
mkc- thank you, I'll check it out.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

If you go off the fabric that is moving it will stop. It has to be on the fabric to work. Make sense? Just needle down, turn the fabric and move to get it to keep going.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:14 PM

I didn't have much success with the BSR on my 440QE either, but the bigger issue was the lack of throat space. I ended up buying a sitdown quilting machine and now use my 440 for piecing.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Stitch regulator can be over stitched and under stitched if you change speeds abruptly. When i first got my stitch regulator I found my stitches were better without. I only use a regulator on my longarm now. On my dsm its easier for me to manually control my stitches
Old 10-03-2020, 07:20 PM

The BSR can be awkward for me,too, but gotta admit my stitches look more even and consistent when I use it, so I keep at it. I even wish I could use it with rulers. I have settled on mode 1 and the start/stop button most of the time, so I don’t have to coordinate the foot action at the same time. But I think this is different for different people, as there are pros/cons to each way.

But if your stitches look better without it, then maybe be happy and proud of that and let go of trying to force it. There are plenty of quilters who feel more comfortable without it. And your 770 is awesome with or without it.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:28 AM

I find that I do better with the cruise, where the needle keeps moving. I cannot get any consistency with the precision mode.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:07 PM

I like the BSR on my Bernina 830-the-middle-model-of-the-3-830s. I finally discovered that lengthening the stitch mostly prevented this million stitches a millimeter problem I was having. What I want to know is whether anybody combines using the Hands-Free-System (the bar you push with your knee to life the presser foot) WITH the BSR in order to do free hand quilting?