Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR- which mode works best for you? >

Bernina BSR- which mode works best for you?

Bernina BSR- which mode works best for you?

Old 01-25-2022, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Default Bernina BSR- which mode works best for you?

Hi everyone, I'm wondering which mode you use (1 or 2) and why.
Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 AM

It has been a while, since I got a long arm, since I have tried using the BSR. I did use and I liked it and I need to practice more with it. Now, there may have been updates since. But what I remember is that one mode keeps the needle going up and down slowly, that mode allows for smoother movement when you start up as the needle is always in motion, But, if you pause and think about where you are going too long, you get a knot in the spot and too long, you break your thread. The other mode stops the needle going up and down but starts the stitching when the laser picks up the movement, this results in a bit of a jerky start. So, there is a reason you may want to use both at times, but I think it is a good idea to just make a few practice pieces and see which one is the most comfortable for you. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head which is mode 1 or 2 but it is in the manual. Oh, I think I decide to use the default mode whichever one that was. At least for most of my stuff. I think you can also use either the stop/start button or the foot pedal if I am recalling that right. I am going to have the dig that BSR out again!

Last edited by sewingpup; 01-25-2022 at 07:33 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-25-2022, 07:49 AM

I believe I'm mostly using mode 2. I have to remind myself to move if I want to stitch. It helps me to use the Austin Powers/Dr Evil voice -- it's got fricking laser beams for a purpose...

Even though I typically use pretty fluffy batts, I don't usually use the plastic cup type foot, just the regular one.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

I haven’t used my BSR for a while but when I did, I used my foot pedal for stop and start. I liked to have able to rest and reposition my hands and the quilt without worrying about the needle going up and down. Now I do a lot of ruler work which does not work with the BSR as you need the ruler foot on. BUT I think they have now made a ruler foot BSR? I have got better at controlling the stitch length myself but the BSR did help me get more comfortable with FMQing at the beginning. I have a little pencil mark on my machine on the speed for my most comfortable speed for stitch length without the BSR.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

If I don't use my BSR my stitches look awful.
I have the ruler foot, not the one for the BSR though.

sewingpup- the automatic one is mode 1.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:12 AM

I usually use 2. There’s a reason for it that I learned from my Bernina class but I don’t remember it! Sometimes I forget to choose the number 2 so I’m in number 1. At some point I’ll realize it and change it to number 2 but honestly I can’t really tell the difference.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I used mode 2 today and it worked wonderfully! I also increased the stitch length to 3. I watched a Bernina tutorial on Youtube. I'm going to make a sticky note to put on my forehead so I don't forget

I found that using mode 2 and using the button instead of the foot pedal allowed me to go on and on without any stops unless I wanted to. I finished a quilt this afternoon.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:05 AM

SusieQOH, I’m glad you found which mode works best for you…yes a sticky note is a good idea, especially if you don’t FMQ often enough to remember. Hopefully, you will use your BSR more often now that you found a setting that works for you.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:36 PM

I prefer the mode where the needle keeps going when you stop. Otherwise, I get a long stitch when I start.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:56 PM

I think I have done better on #2 also. I never did get real good at it and never had much luck on a practice piece either. I would go a long fairly good and then get lost.