Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina edge foot and ditch sole plate >

Bernina edge foot and ditch sole plate

Bernina edge foot and ditch sole plate

Old 01-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Reb

Default Bernina edge foot and ditch sole plate

A #5 edge foot came with my aurora 440QE. I bought a #10 edge foot. Long ago. What are the different uses? I can not remember why I bought it!

And is there a trick to changing the sole plate on the walking foot to ITD sole plate? We were afraid we would break it. Now I need to change it again. Thanks for any info.

I. must be calling it the wrong thing. There is a foot attachment for the walking foot to quilt ITD. That piece we have trouble switching on the walking foot itself.

Last edited by Reb; 01-30-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: I made a mistake
Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 PM

The #10 foot is an edge stitching foot. I use the number 5 foot to hem clothes with. The guide on the #10 is much deeper and easier to use to follow an edge IMHO
The sole plate can be tricky and other than pushing down hard in the top right hand corner as you sit in front of it....there is no other way to get it off....but can be hard to move. Putting on another sole plate is putting it on by pushing it down. Sometimes one must push quite hard and you think it won't fit.....but it does.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 PM

Changing the sole on the Bernina walking foot is pretty easy. There's no need to force it off. Just turn the little screw on the side until the sole is loose enough to remove. Turning the screw doesn't loosen anything, it kinda prys the metal arms apart. There are 2 bumps on one side of the sole and one bump on the other side, and holes on the inside of the arms to match them.

The #5 foot's flange goes through the middle and past the needle. So when you do a blind hem, the flange keeps the thread loose.

The #10 foot only has a flange in the front. It's great for stitching straight lines, but pretty useless when you need to do a curve.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Reb

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Changing the sole on the Bernina walking foot is pretty easy. There's no need to force it off. Just turn the little screw on the side until the sole is loose enough to remove. Turning the screw doesn't loosen anything, it kinda prys the metal arms apart. There are 2 bumps on one side of the sole and one bump on the other side, and holes on the inside of the arms to match them.

The #5 foot's flange goes through the middle and past the needle. So when you do a blind hem, the flange keeps the thread loose.

The #10 foot only has a flange in the front. It's great for stitching straight lines, but pretty useless when you need to do a curve.
Any idea as I only use the machine to quilt why I would need a #10 foot? Is there an application for quilting? And do
I still need the quarter " foot with guide? That is what started all the questions. My accurate 1/4 seam has been suffering. I've been looking into buying the 1/4" foot with guide. Should I use the #10 instead?

i appreciate your time in helping me out.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 AM

At my Bernina store they have a book of all their feet with explanations for different uses for it. I'm not sure it's work $99, but it does have a lot of info. You can go to Berninausa.com to see videos fo how to use each foot.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 AM

Don't think that your #10 foot will help with your quarter inch seam issue. I think you may want to look into a #57 foot Patchwork foot with guide.

Also Bernina now offers a sole plate for the walking foot that acts as a #10 foot - for stitching in the ditch.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Sorry I read your question wrong and did not answer correctly. However, the 97 foot is the best foot I have.....I use it for a lot of things. Not sure if your machine is compatible with this foot, but since I started using it I do not have trouble with the 1/4" seam. This foot works in conjunction with your feed dogs.

Did you know you can down load an app for Bernina Feet? You download it to your phone or ipad free. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure if your feet number are the same as mine. The #5 foot is called a blind stitch foot whihc I never used. I just recently looked at my Bernina feet and discovered from this board that the #20 is an open toe applique foot. It appears that the #10 foot is "superbly suited to applying lace and trims, Edgestitch foot # 10 is also ideal for topstitching edges, pleats and hems". I use the #37 foot for accurate 1/4" piecing.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the #57 with the edge guide. I bought one years ago and have no more trouble with a slight quarter anymore.