Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: which bernina feet do you use the most?

which bernina feet do you use the most?

I recently purchased a Bernina 350....I use my machine mostly to quilt, home dec and "garments" for the grandbabies. The local dealer is having a sale on Bernina accessories.....which feet do you use the most? I have the quilter's 1/4" foot (may upgrade to the foot with the guide), and I need to purchase the FMQ and walking feet. Any others that I "need" to look at? Thanks so much. Everyone here is so helpful and fun! :-)

I mostly use the walking foot. I also like to have a 'clear' foot so I can see what I am stitching.

Blog Entries
    I probably use the open toe foot the most.

Don't do what I did and not take inventory of the feet before buying more. I bought a 37 for the quarter inch and then went home and discovered I had one. I had completed a few blanket stich appliques before I discovered I had an applique stich foot. Make sure you know what you already have before purchasing. I use my 1/4 inch foot the most, but I am interested in one with a guide, now that you have mentioned it.

Power Poster
    I use my #1 all purpose foot for general sewing, my#37 for patchwork, my#20 for appliqué, my walking foot, my darning/spring foot (before I got the BSR) and occasionally my buttonhole foot for buttonholes.

Always happy to do a bit of enabling, Suzie! I believe the foot with the guide is 37/57........... :-)

I like the #10 edge stitch foot for a perfect top stitch.

I use the 1/4" foot, the #1 foot, the walking foot and I prefer the #24 freehand open toe embroidery foot over the FMQ foot for FMQ. You have much better visibility with the open toe embroidery foot.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I like the #10 edge stitch foot for a perfect top stitch.
    This foot also works well for SID quilting!

I use the 1/4" foot most of the time. The walking foot is a close second.

When you get your walking foot be sure to one with the stitch in the ditch plate.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

I use my walking foot, open toe foot and my embroidery foot the most. Sorry, do not have the numbers of the feet since they are packed in boxes at the time.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by sewgray View Post
    When you get your walking foot be sure to one with the stitch in the ditch plate.
    OK, have had my walking foot for a while now, but wanted to know what you meant by the the stitch in the ditch plate? Could you elaborate a little on this one. I can not go and look at mine right now, it is packed in a box since we are moving next week. Thanks.

I should state that I do have two different plates. Just never used the other and am thinking that I am missing a great use for them.
    Last edited by MoanaWahine; 04-04-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    Julie

I got my husband to cut out the front part of my plastic FM quilting foot so I can see what I am doing. I didn't tell him the price to replace the foot until after he was done but he did a perfect job.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

My top two are the walking foot and the quarter inch foot with guide. I can't sew without those two. Also like the edge stitch food for SID.

I use the #20 almost exclusively for anything but actual quilting. With the needle one click to the right it gives a perfect scant ¼" seam, the fabric is grabbed by both feed dogs (unlike the 37 and 57) so it feeds accurately right to the end, and the open toe makes it very easy to see exactly where I am going. For quilting, I use the walking foot and the #24 open toe metal quilting foot (I hate plastic feet).
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

ghostrider.....great info! And i have the #20.....love your tip about moving the needle and getting that all-elusive scant 1/4" seam! I am confused about the FMQ foot.....my old bernina has a metal open-toe "bounce" foot that I used.....not sure which one is the proper one for the new machine. I have a lot of feet for my old 930, and of course, they have a different shank, so I have to start collecting all over again. I think the #10 is also on my list....

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Don't buy the 1/4" with the side. It isn't a true 1/4". It's way larger. I found out the hard way. I use the clear foot that is open in the front and the 1/4" foot mostly. I have a bunch that I don't think I'll ever use. They have some nice ones. One for cutting out the fabric and then you place a different color fabric behind it. Love it!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
    I am confused about the FMQ foot.....my old bernina has a metal open-toe "bounce" foot that I used.....not sure which one is the proper one for the new machine. I have a lot of feet for my old 930, and of course, they have a different shank, so I have to start collecting all over again. I think the #10 is also on my list....
    It sounds like you are describing the #24 Freehand embroidery foot. It is a metal open-toe bounce foot. Go here for picture:
    http://www.berninausa.com/product_se...5-r14-sUS.html

I prefer to use this for actual FMQ as it has much better visibility than the #29 clear plastic freehand quilting foot pictured here:
    http://www.berninausa.com/product_se...5-r15-sUS.html

I use #57 the most. It is the 1/4 inch foot with the quide (same as #37 except with the guide). The guide has helped me a lot and I thought it was worth the money.

Blog Entries
    Suziequilts, I did the same thing. I use my walking foot alot, but I love the other ones I have for making special projects, like the couching foot, ruffler and others..

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    It sounds like you are describing the #24 Freehand embroidery foot. It is a metal open-toe bounce foot. Go here for picture:
    http://www.berninausa.com/product_se...5-r14-sUS.html

I prefer to use this for actual FMQ as it has much better visibility than the #29 clear plastic freehand quilting foot pictured here:
    http://www.berninausa.com/product_se...5-r15-sUS.html
    The #24 looks like a winner! Thank you for the info!

I use the 1/4 inch foot nearly daily. I use the 1/4 inch with the guide for strip piecing, not so much for everyday piecing. If you do a lot of strip piecing, then get it, otherwise, not really necessary. I use the clear foot a lot. I use the open toe for applique.

For quilting, I use the BSR, which is not available for your machine, but also the Walking foot.

#39 (clear foot) is my favorite ...excellent for paper piecing
    of course the walking foot & 1/4" foot too
    FancyFoot